|Dam||Pas de Nom|
|Breeder||Derry Meeting Farm & William S. Farish III|
|Owner||Henryk de Kwiatkowski|
|Leading sire in North America (1991, 1992, 1993)|
Danzig (February 12, 1977 - January 4, 2006) was an American Thoroughbred racehorse who is best known as a leading sire. He was purchased for $310,000 by Henryk de Kwiatkowski at the 1978 Saratoga Yearling Sale. The son of Hall of Famer Northern Dancer and the most important sire of the second half of the 20th century, he won all three of his races before knee problems ended his racing career.
Danzig was retired to stand at stud at Claiborne Farm near Paris, Kentucky, where he became one of the world's most important sires. He led the U.S. sires list from 1991 to 1993 and topped the sire list in Spain and the United Arab Emirates.
Danzig sired 188 graded stakes race winners and 10 champions. His foals have earned more than $100 million in purse money and include Breeders' Cup winners Chief's Crown, Lure, Dance Smartly, and War Chant as well as the European champions Dayjur and Anabaa. Danzig also sired 1992 Preakness Stakes winner Pine Bluff, and is the sire of Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame inductee Langfuhr who, in turn, sired the Canadian Triple Crown winner and Horse of the Year, Wando. A leading sire of sires, Danzig's son Danehill is the first Thoroughbred in history to sire 300 stakes winners. Danzig was also the damsire of Fusaichi Pegasus and Dancethruthedawn. He was the grandsire of 2008 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Big Brown. His son Hard Spun finished second in the 2007 Kentucky Derby, behind Street Sense.
Pensioned at the age of 27 in 2004, on January 3, 2006 Danzig was humanely euthanized due to the infirmities of old age. He was buried at Claiborne Farm's equine cemetery.
Northern Dancer (CAN)
Pas de Nom
|Crafty Admiral||Fighting Fox|
|Quick Arrow (Family: 7-a)|
- Claiborne Farm
- List of leading Thoroughbred racehorses
- Northern Dancer
- Thoroughbred breeding theories
- Family #7 – Other notable family members. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- Danzig's five-generation pedigree and record. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- 2007 Kentucky Derby. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- Racetrack Sires 2009, June/August, 2009, Australian Stud Book's Database, Michael Ford
- Pedigree Analysis: Is Bigger Always Better?
- Morris, Simon; Tesio Power 2000 - Stallions of the World, Syntax Software