Daphne High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Daphne High School|
|Daphne High School's main building|
|9300 E Lawson Road
Daphne, Alabama, 36526
|School district||Baldwin County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Purple and Gold|
Daphne High School is a secondary school located in Daphne, Alabama, United States. The school, which serves grades 9-12, is a part of the Baldwin County Public Schools district. Students at the school live in the city of Daphne and its surrounding unincorporated areas and the city of Loxley. Daphne High School's mascot is the Trojan.
The school has 1,300 students and offers the International Baccalaureate program. 2012 National Blue Ribbon School
Daphne High School was opened in 1989 with only one main building. Since then, it has had several major additions to its facility. First, There was the addition of a second building on the west end of the school grounds (called the "new wing" by students and alumni). The stadium was then built as part of the school's expanding athletic program. During the summer of 2007, the stadium received new restroom and concession facilities in a multi-million dollar project. At the same time, Baldwin County Schools purchased a church next door to the school grounds for approx. $4 million, known as Trojan Hall.
Daphne High School has a successful athletic program. Since 2000, the DHS football program has compiled an overall record of 91-18, having appeared in five of the last eleven division 6A State Championship games (2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010) and winning the state title in 2001, and 2010 with a 15-0 record. The Trojans have won six 6A Region 2 titles in the last seven years (2000, 2001, 2003–2006). In 2007, the team compiled an 11-2 record placing second in Region 2, advancing to the 6A State Quarterfinals. The Trojans finished the 2001 season ranked #15 in the nation in the National Prep Football Poll. The Trojans have won their section title 8 times, and have placed a personal best of 5th place in state. The Trojans baseball program won the 4A and 5A state titles in 1992 and 1993. Mike Power then took over in 1999 coming close to winning a 6A state title in 2000, losing in the state finals. Power then led the Trojans to win the 6A title in 2001.In 2010, Daphne beat Hoover for the 6a state championship.
Daphne High School had its first winning season in football in 1993, even though the high school opened its doors in 1989.
- Abu Mansoor Al-Amriki (born Omar Hammami), key member of al-Shabbab
- Jeremy Clark, defensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Courtney Duncan, Former MLB player (Chicago Cubs)
- Atlas Herrion, guard for the Houston Texans
- Kenny King, defensive tackle for the Baltimore Ravens
- Patrick White, quarterback/wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins
- Kyle Smith, javelin thrower for the University of Southern Mississippi and Alabama state record holder in the javelin throw
- T. J. Yeldon, running back for the University of Alabama
- "Alabama High School Football Class 6A Ratings and Standings". Alabama High School Athletic Association Website. Retrieved 2007-05-23.
- "National Prep Football Poll - 2001 Final". 2001-12-24.
- Elliott, Andrea (2010-01-28). "The Jihadist Next Door". The New York Times. Retrieved November 13, 2010.