Daphne High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Daphne High School|
|Daphne High School's main building|
|9300 E Lawson Road
Daphne, Alabama, 36526
|School district||Baldwin County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Purple and Gold|
Daphne High School is a secondary school located in Daphne, Alabama, United States. The school, which serves grades 9-12, is a part of the Baldwin County Public Schools district. Students at the school live in the city of Daphne and its surrounding unincorporated areas and the city of Loxley. Daphne High School's mascot is the Trojan.
The school has 1,300 students and offers the International Baccalaureate program. 2012 National Blue Ribbon School
Daphne High School was opened in 1989 with only one main building. Since then, it has had several major additions to its facility. First, There was the addition of a second building on the west end of the school grounds (called the "new wing" by students and alumni). The stadium was then built as part of the school's expanding athletic program. During the summer of 2007, the stadium received new restroom and concession facilities in a multi-million dollar project. At the same time, Baldwin County Schools purchased a church next door to the school grounds for approx. $4 million, known as Trojan Hall.
Daphne high school is classified as a 6A school by the Alabama High School Athletic Association. Daphne won the state championship game in 2001 and 2010. In 2013 Daphne finished undefeated in region play but were defeated in the first round of the state playoffs.
The Trojans finished the 2001 season ranked #15 in the nation in the National Prep Football Poll. The Trojans baseball program won the 4A state title in 1992, and the 5A title in 1993. In 2001 and 2002 the Trojans won the 6A title.
In 2012, the school was awarded the Alabama High School Athletic Association Sportsmanship Award. The award was one of only 8 given to 6A schools which saw no fines and no ejections from any sport during the year.
Daphne assistant football coach Jacy Todd was honored as the Employee of the Year - large business division in 2013 by the Alabama Governor's Committee on Employment of People with disabilities. Todd was paralyzed from the chest down in an auto accident in 2012. He has returned to full-time teaching and coaching and is often seen on the sidelines in a wheelchair.
- Jeremy Clark, defensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Courtney Duncan, Former MLB player (Chicago Cubs)
- Atlas Herrion, guard for the Houston Texans.
- Kenny King, former defensive tackle for the Baltimore Ravens.
- Kyle Smith, javelin thrower for the University of Southern Mississippi and Alabama state record holder in the javelin throw.
- Patrick White, quarterback/wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins
- T. J. Yeldon, the current running back for the University of Alabama
- "Classification and Alignment 2012". AHSAA.com. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Football Past State Champions". AHSAA.com. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Alabama High School Football Class 6A Ratings and Standings". Alabama High School Athletic Association Website. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- David Lee (November 8, 2013). AL.com http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-349543585626200613/football-wetumpka-upsets-daphne-in-6a-playoffs-wins-14-10-photos/#/0
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "National Prep Football Poll - 2001 Final". 2001-12-24.
- "Baseball Past State Champions". AHSAA.com. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- Guy Busby (July 28, 2012). "Baldwin County school board approves aviation center". AL.com. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Sally Pearsall Ericson (December 13, 2013). "Daphne assistant coach, paralyzed in accident, wins statewide award for employees with disabilities". Retrieved December 13, 2013.