From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, and for people named Dara, see Dara (disambiguation)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
|Look up Dara in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Dara is a name with more than one origin;
Dara is a gotra (clan) of Jats found in India. Members of the Dara gotra are mainly in Rajasthan(Majority), Haryana,in India.
- It is found in the Bible's Old Testament Books of Chronicles. Dara was a biblical descendant of Judah known for his wisdom. (The Bible. 1 Chronicles 2:6).
- In Urdu, Dara is Darius.
- In Khmer, Thai and Lao, Dara is a male or female name meaning "star".
- In Hebrew Dara means compassion or pearl of wisdom.
- In Punjabi, Dara means "leader".
- In Persian Dara (Persian: دارا) means "wealthy" and is a boy's name. Dara means "Prosperous" or "Wealthy" in Persian. It is also the name of a male doll, and Dara and Sara are sold as "Iran's alternative to Ken and Barbie".
- In the Swahili version Dara means "the beautiful one".
- In Irish Dara means "oak". Dara is also frequently used in Ireland (and the United States), as either a male or a female given name, and it also occurs as a surname. The spelling varies, with variations including Daire and Darragh. The Irish form is probably derived from doire, the Irish word for "oak tree", though as a surname it may be a version of the Irish name Mac Dubhdara. In Irish and Scottish Gaelic, dara means "second".
- In Persian Darius (Persian: داریوش) is a boy's name. It stems from the ancient Persian (Farsi) dar, meaning tree. Darius the Great is the most famous ruler with this name.
- But in Indonesian, Dara means "girl", "young woman", or "virgin".
- Dara is a female name in Bulgaria and Macedonia. Its meaning directly derives from "dar", which means "gift" both in Bulgarian and Macedonian. This name stems from the more common male name Bojidar (or Bozhidar), and its female version Bojidara (or Bozhidara), both meaning "Gift of God".
- Dara is also a short form of Oluwadarasimi or Oluwadara, which in Yoruba means "God is good". The name is used for both boys and girls.
- In the United States Dara can be a male or female given name.
- Dara, Mesopotamia was a Byzantine fortress town in modern Mardin Province, Turkey.
- Dara is a variant spelling of Daraa, Syria.
- Ain Dara, Lebanon is known for the Battle of Ain Darra.
From India, a few Daras moved to Bavaria, becoming part of the Bavarian Illuminati