Dara Horn (born 1977) is an American novelist and professor of literature.
Education and career
Dara Horn was born in New Jersey in 1977, grew up in Short Hills, NJ and received her Ph.D. in comparative literature from Harvard University in 2006. In 2007 Dara Horn was chosen by Granta magazine as one of the Best Young American Novelists. Her first novel, In the Image, published by W.W. Norton when she was 25, received a 2003 National Jewish Book Award, the 2002 Edward Lewis Wallant Award, and the 2003 Reform Judaism Fiction Prize. Her second novel, The World to Come, published by W.W. Norton in January 2006, received the 2006 National Jewish Book Award for Fiction, the 2007 Harold U. Ribalow Prize, was selected as an Editors' Choice in The New York Times Book Review and as one of the Best Books of 2006 by The San Francisco Chronicle, and has been translated into eleven languages. Her third novel, All Other Nights, published in April 2009 by W.W. Norton, was selected as an Editors' Choice in the New York Times Book Review. Her latest novel, A Guide for the Perplexed, was published in September 2013. She has taught courses in Jewish literature and Israeli history at Harvard and at Sarah Lawrence College, and has lectured at universities and cultural institutions throughout the United States and Canada. She lives with her husband, daughter and three sons in New Jersey.
- Horn, Dara (2002). In the Image. New York: W. W. Norton. pp. 278 p. ISBN 0-393-05106-4.
- Horn, Dara (2006). The World to Come. New York: W. W. Norton. pp. 314 p. ISBN 0-393-05107-2.
- Horn, Dara (2009). All Other Nights. New York: W. W. Norton. pp. 384 p. ISBN 0-393-06492-1.
- Horn, Dara (2013). A Guide for the Perplexed. New York: W. W. Norton. pp. 352 p. ISBN 978-0-393-06489-6.
- Granta magazine, Best Young American Novelists, 2007
- Editor's Choice in The New York Times Book Review
- Harold U. Ribalow Prize 2007
- Best Books of 2006 by The San Francisco Chronicle
- Reform Judaism Prize for Jewish Fiction
- Official website
- Interview at BookBrowse.com
- presentense magazine
- Story behind A Guide for the Perplexed - Online Essay by Dara Horn