Daraga, Albay

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Daraga
Banuaan kan Daraga
Municipality
Daraga Church with Mayon Volcano at the background
Daraga Church with Mayon Volcano at the background
Nickname(s): Home of the Ruins
Map of Albay showing the location of Daraga
Map of Albay showing the location of Daraga
Daraga is located in Philippines
Daraga
Daraga
Location within the Philippines
Coordinates: 13°9′43″N 123°41′38″E / 13.16194°N 123.69389°E / 13.16194; 123.69389Coordinates: 13°9′43″N 123°41′38″E / 13.16194°N 123.69389°E / 13.16194; 123.69389
Country  Philippines
Region Bicol (Region V)
Province Albay
District 2nd district
Founded June 12, 1772
Barangays 54
Government[1]
 • Mayor Gerry R. Jaucian
 • Vice Mayor Carlos V. Baylon
Area[2]
 • Total 118.64 km2 (45.81 sq mi)
Population (2010)[3]
 • Total 115,804
 • Density 980/km2 (2,500/sq mi)
Demonym Daragueño
Time zone PST (UTC+8)
ZIP code 4501
Dialing code 52
Income class 1st class
Website daraga.gov.ph

Daraga is a first class municipality in the province of Albay, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 115,804 people.[3] It is home to the landmark Cagsawa Ruins.

Geography[edit]

The Municipality of Daraga is located in the southwest portion of Albay Province along the Maharlika Highway, making it accessible from Manila and the Visayas, as well as the other municipalities of eastern Bicol Peninsula. It is roughly "boot-shaped", with the "tall" part ranging 13.05–13.25° north latitude and 123.66–123.73° east longitude and the "wide" part ranging 13.02–13.09° north latitude and 123.56–123.71° east longitude. It is bounded on the north and east by Legazpi City, on the south by the Province of Sorsogon (particularly the municipality of Pilar), and on the west by the Municipalities of Camalig and Jovellar.

A land-locked municipality, Daraga has a total land area of 11,860 hectares (29,300 acres). This is about 4.70% of the land area of Albay Province. This municipal land area is distributed among the present 16 urban barangays and 42 rural barangays. The urban barangays total 1,500 hectares (3,700 acres) (12.65%) and the rural barangays make up the remaining 10,360 hectares (25,600 acres) (87.35%) of the total municipal land area.[4]

Climate[edit]

The Municipality of Daraga has a general wet climate characterized by a lack of a dry season. Maximum rainfall is from November to January, and average monthly rainfall is 223.4 millimetres (8.80 in). Prevailing winds are generally from northeast to southwest. Average temperature is 27.0 °C (80.6 °F).[4] But the climate change phenomenon has changed the past climate pattern. Dry spells are becoming more pronounced, as it is with the wet season. The phenomenon is felt all over the country as well.

Elevation[edit]

67.3% of the total municipal land area has a predominantly low elevation of up to 100 metres (330 ft). The surface terrain is generally characterized by combination of level to nearly level areas, gentle to undulating areas and undulating to rolling areas.

Soil[edit]

The different soil types to be found within the Municipality of Daraga are the Mayon Gravelly Sandy Loam, Annam Clay Loam, Gravelly Sandy Loam, Legazpi Fine Sandy Loam (Stoney Phase), Sevilla Clay Loam and Sevilla Clay .

The underlying geology are made up of several types, namely Alluvium, Shale and Sandstone Limestone and Basalt and Andesite Series. The prevalent geologic type is the Shale and Sandstone Sequence and other equally significant geologic types such as alluvium. Recent Volcanic, Crystalline Limestone and Psyroclastine Limestone are found near the base of Mayon Volcano mostly in the urban barangays.

Minerals available within the municipality of Daraga are non-metallic consisting of Gravel, and Boulders. These minerals are abundant in Barangays Budiao, Busay, Bañadero and Matnog brought down from the slopes of Mayon Volcano during occurrences of volcanic eruptions and rains.

Drainage[edit]

The surface drainage pattern of the Municipality of Daraga is largely affected by the water run-off coming from Mayon Volcano coupled with those from other directions. Major river systems which convey and act as natural drainage channels as well as water source include:

  1. Yawa River in Barangay Cullat, Malobago, Kilicao, Tagas, Binitayan & Bañag which connects to the Albay Gulf in Legazpi City
  2. Colabos Creek in Bañag, San Roque, Market Area, Sagpon, and Bagumbayan
  3. Quillarena River in Malabog & Budiao
  4. Gumacon Creek in Barangay Maroroy, Tagas
  5. Gulang-Gulang Creek in Barangay Pandan

History[edit]

The word "Daraga" historically refers to a maiden; it is the local term for an unmarried woman, not only in the municipality of Daraga, but in the entire Bicol Region. The original settlement of Daraga dates back to 12th century, but it has changed location repeatedly due to the constant threats posed by Mayon Volcano, adopting the names Budiao, Cagsawa, Locsin, and finally, Daraga.

Year Event
12th Century Early settlers were traders. The name Daraga came from a type of tree that grew in abundance on the hill where a Catholic church with Baroque architecture now stands.
1587 Evangelical Franciscan missionaries arrived. They called the place Budiao, later renaming it to Cagsawa.
1595 Cagsawa became a visita (subordinate mission station) and was attached to the town of Camalig.
1772 Its name was changed to Salcedo by Simon de Anda and later renamed Daraga.
1814 Deadliest eruption of Mayon Volcano that caused the destruction of Cagsawa and killed 1,200 people that sought shelter inside the church.
1815 Government for the town of Daraga was formally organized with Venancio Espiritu Salomon as Barangay Captain.
1892 Under the Becerra Law, Daraga became a constituent of Legazpi City.
1922 Daraga regained its autonomy when the Philippine Assembly ordered separation of Daraga from the capital town of Albay, composed of Albay and Legazpi City.
1948 Under R.A. 306, Daraga was again incorporated into Legazpi as one of its districts.
1954 R.A. 993 created the Municipality of Daraga.
1959 Daraga’s name was changed to Locsin.
1967 R.A. 4994 restored the name Daraga.
1973 Under P.D. 125, Daraga was incorporated as part of Legazpi City, but implementation of this decree was suspended.
1993 Daraga was adjudged the cleanest and greenest municipality in Bicol.
2001 Mayon Volcano erupts in June, blanketing the town with an inch of ash.
2002 Municipal government finishes construction of modern supermarket.
2006 Mudflows from the slopes of Mayon Volcano, triggered by heavy rains from Typhoon Reming (internationally known as Typhoon Durian) buried at least eight villages. More than 20,000 Individuals were evacuated. Thousands lost their homes.
2007 The National Museum declared the four-century old Daraga "Our Lady of the Gate Parish Church" in this town as a national cultural treasure.
2008 Daraga experiences an economic boom with the opening of several national food chains and the opening of LCC Supermarket.
2010 The municipal government of Daraga negotiates for the establishment of the Bicol International Airport with the proposed construction site in Barangay Alobo.
2012 Daraga holds first ever Cagsawa Festival in February.

Demographics[edit]

Population census of Daraga
Year Pop.   ±% p.a.  
1990 83,928 —    
1995 91,829 +1.70%
2000 101,031 +2.07%
2007 110,625 +1.26%
2010 115,804 +1.68%
Source: National Statistics Office[3][5]

The 2010 municipal population of 115,804 is distributed among the urban and rural Barangays. The urban population is 48.54% while rural population completes the remaining 51.45%. The "built-up density" is 5,659 persons/km2. It has a literacy rate of 96.08%. The municipality growth rate is 1.3%.

In terms of employment and livelihood, farming ranks high at 33.53%, crafts and related workers as well as elementary occupations follow second with 17.71% and 21.89% respectively.

Language[edit]

The languages spoken in Daraga include East Miraya (Daragueño), Bicol, Tagalog, and English.

Transportation[edit]

The tower is what remains of the Cagsawa Church, which was buried by the 1814 eruption of Mayon Volcano.

The Municipality of Daraga has a total Road Network of about 129.01 kilometers. This is categorized either as National Roads, Provincial Roads, Municipal Roads and Barangay Roads. These barangay Roads comprised the bulk of the municipality road network system. About 24.97% are concrete paved while the remaining 75.03% remains in Asphalt, Gravel of Earth fill pavement conditions. These are about 25 bridges within the municipality and 66.22% of which are within barangay roads while the other bridges are part of national, provincial of barangay roads.

Economy[edit]

Daraga's economy, originally agriculture-based, has rapidly transformed into an emerging urban system, benefiting from the economic opportunities of being located contiguously with the urban center of Legazpi. It draws trade relations with the island province of Masbate through the nearby Port of Pilar.

Daraga will be the site of the future Bicol International Airport which will further boost tourism in the region and will introduce more opportunities especially in this town. Local officials are now considering cityhood in the near future or upon the completion of the said international airport, if that so, Daraga would be the fourth city in Albay.

Daraga has the highest number of business establishments among towns in Albay. As of 2011 it has over 2,300 business establishments registered with the Permits and Licensing Office. The town is a center of handicraft manufacturing with several handicraft factories choosing their location in the municipality.

Tourism[edit]

Our Lady of the Gate Parish or Daraga church

Its existing tourist spots/attractions are the Cagsawa Ruins and Resort and Our Lady of the Gate Parish.

Cagsawa Ruins and Resort is located in Barangay Busay. Its prominent attraction is the Belfry of the Cagsawa Church which submerged in mudflow during the February 2, 1814, Mayon Volcano Eruption and killed 1,200 people. The site is presently developed and complete with facilities for rooms, lodging and food, toilets/bathrooms, stalls for native products /ornamentals, restaurant/eateries, telephones and administration office significant number of foreign and local tourist visit the site all year round and realizes a sizeable profit.

The Our Lady of the Gate Parish was constructed in 1773 atop Sta. Maria Hill in Brgy. San Roque and is uniquely known for its rich baroque architecture.

Barangays[edit]

Daraga is politically subdivided into 54 barangays.[2]

Barangays Class Population[3] Area (ha)[6] Barangay head
Alcala Rural 2,755 116.1802 Ester L. Llandeza
Alobo Rural 792 160.6478 Dexter L. Marmol
Anislag Urban 9,445 858.4977 Elmer Lodronio
Bagumbayan Urban 3,254 132.5419 Mark C. Magalona
Balinad Urban 2,230 153.7430 Ester Ll. Londonio
Bañadero Rural 1,637 204.0003 Archie Bajamundi
Bañag Urban 2,719 27.3543 Gayzel M. CardiÑO
Bascaran Urban 3,946 423 Julius L. Duran
Bigao Rural 1,015 296.0832 Salvador Miravalles
Binitayan Urban 4,257 24.0552 Celilia A. Arevalo
Bongalon Rural 1,123 73.4752 Ferelyn M. Seva
Budiao Rural 271 290.0678 Jefferson M. Mapula
Burgos Rural 1,122 148.6710 Meriam M. Millena
Busay Rural 1,684 213.7914 Amado B. Lorejo
Canarom Rural 501 247.3559 Efren M. Llasos
Cullat Rural 1460 30.7778 Luis D. Espejo
de la Paz Rural 773 73.1887 Maria L. Marjalino
Dinoronan Rural 608 61.0673 Hirfa M. Espadilla
Gabawan Rural 1,983 93.1821 Roberto C. Obispo
Gapo Rural 1,982 389.2490 Jesus M. Magdaong Jr
Ibaugan Rural 546 179.0034 Raul Ll. Malto
Ilawod Urban 1,987 18.4240 Teddy A. Villanueva
Inarado Rural 1,694 682.2203 Rommel N. Marticio
Kidaco Rural 1,205 116.0303 Amelia Magallano
Kilicao Urban 3,925 379.4295 Eriberto M. Madrona
Kimantong Urban 1,980 20.9764 Joey M. MaÑAgo
Kinawitan Rural 405 78.4592 Eduardo N. Lubiano
Kiwalo Rural 1,160 57.6508 Janet L. Lorilla
Lacag Rural 2,321 383.8633 Arthur L. Llabore Sr.
Mabini Rural 581 124.8330 Ranulfo N. Llorera
Malabog Rural 4,099 287.4584 Alvin L. Montallana
Malobago Rural 492 61.5571 Eduardo Ll. Mazo
Maopi Rural 1,166 252.9489 Alex M.LoteriÑA
Market Area Urban 2,538 20.8215 Wilfredo N. Nayve
Maroroy Urban 5,331 73.5990 Agnes O. Mendoza
Matnog Rural 1,680 270.1466 Bonifacio M. Odiver
Mayon Rural 1,759 356.6953 Adoracion Blazo
Mi-isi Rural 1,028 518.1970 Elmer A. Lorica
Nabasan Rural 506 552.1423 Menche A. Llamasares
Namantao Rural 1538 363.0704 Marilou Llaneta
Pandan Rural 1,683 94.3188 Rosalito Cimanes
Peñafrancia Urban 2,986 193.7429 Jose M. Lobas
Sagpon Urban 5,723 29.6158 Loreto Barajas
Salvacion Rural 3,344 551.6138 Nelson N. Mabini
San Rafael Rural 296 32.6412 Alodea M. Lisay
San Ramon Rural 1,441 784.9949 Aidar L. Llaguno
San Roque Urban 4,308 41.9651 Victor U. Perete
San Vicente Grande Rural 961 346.5665 Elena M. Vibar
San Vicente Pequeño Rural 320 63.6688 Gonzalo N. Marfil Sr.
Sipi Urban 3,454 38.9200 Dexter Billy M. Lorica
Tabon-Tabon Rural 2,588 207.9939 Ric M. Rodrigueza
Tagas Urban 6,527 100.4492 Cherry M. Mayor
Talahib Rural 541 341.9260 Nieves M. Jacob
Villahermosa Rural 2,203 414.7122 Eladio L. Rodrigueza

The present (2014) town mayor is Gerry Jaucian.

Education[edit]

Elementary[edit]

Every barangay in town has a certain elementary school. Some elementary schools that are near the center are the large ones that serve the students.

High schools[edit]

  • Anislag NHS
  • Daraga NHS
  • Malabog NHS
  • Lacag NHS
  • Bascaran NHS
  • Banadero NHS
  • San Vicente Grande HS
  • Kilicao HS
  • Immaculate Concepcion College of Albay (ICCA) High School Department
  • United Institute (U.I.) High School Department
  • Mary's Child Science Oriented School (MCSOS) High School Department
  • Bicol College (BC) High School Department.

Colleges[edit]

  • Daraga Community College (DComC)
  • Immaculate Concepcion College of Albay (ICCA)
  • Bicol College (BC)
  • Bicol University (Daraga Campus)

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 20 January 2013. 
  2. ^ a b "Province: Albay". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 20 January 2013. 
  3. ^ a b c d "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 20 January 2013. 
  4. ^ a b "General Information". About the LGU. Municipal Government of Daraga. Retrieved 21 January 2013. 
  5. ^ "Province of Albay". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 16 August 2013. 
  6. ^ Daraga Municipal Planning and Development Office

External links[edit]