Darby Township, Union County, Ohio
|Darby Township, Ohio|
|• Total||31.5 sq mi (81.7 km2)|
|• Land||31.5 sq mi (81.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||958 ft (292 m)|
|• Density||61.3/sq mi (23.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087075|
Darby Township is one of the fourteen townships of Union County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,934 people in the township, 1,634 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Paris Township - north
- Millcreek Township - northeast
- Jerome Township - east
- Darby Township, Madison County - south
- Pike Township, Madison County - southwest
- Union Township - west
Several populated places are located in Darby Township:
- A small part of the city of Marysville, the county seat of Union County, in the north
- The village of Unionville Center in the south
- The unincorporated community of Bridgeport, in the far west
- The unincorporated community of Chuckery, in the far southwest
Name and history
Darby Township was organized in 1820, and named after the Big Darby Creek, which runs through the township. The first settlers of the township were from Pennsylvania and Virginia. Statewide, other Darby Townships are located in Madison and Pickaway counties.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Union County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- A.S. Mowry, C.E., Atlas of Union County, Ohio, Harris, Sutton & Hare, Philadelphia, 1877, Pg. 19.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.