Dare County, North Carolina
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|Dare County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
North Carolina's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Virginia Dare|
|Largest town||Kill Devil Hills|
|• Total||1,562 sq mi (4,046 km2)|
|• Land||384 sq mi (995 km2)|
|• Water||1,178 sq mi (3,051 km2), 75.44%|
|• Density||78/sq mi (30/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Dare County is the easternmost county in the U.S. state of North Carolina. As of the 2010 census, the population was 33,920. Its county seat is Manteo. The county is named after Virginia Dare, the first child born in the Americas to English parents, who was born in what is now Dare County.
At one time, the now-abandoned town of Buffalo City was the largest community in the county. Because it includes much of Pamlico Sound, Dare County is the largest county in North Carolina by total area, although if one were to consider land area only, it drops down to 68th in size among the state's 100 counties. This is because, according to the Census Bureau's 2010 statistics, only 24.54% of its area is land, the lowest percentage of all counties in the state. Robeson County is the largest county in North Carolina by land area only.
Law and government
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,562 square miles (4,045.6 km2), of which 384 square miles (994.6 km2) is land and 1,178 square miles (3,051.0 km2) (75.44%) is water.
Dare County includes the northern half of the Outer Banks.
|Tyrrell County||Atlantic Ocean|
|Hyde County||Atlantic Ocean|
National protected areas
- Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge (part)
- Cape Hatteras National Seashore (part)
- Fort Raleigh National Historic Site
- Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge
- Wright Brothers National Memorial
As of the census of 2010, there were 33,920 people, 12,690 households, and 8,450 families residing in the county. The population density was 78 people per square mile (30/km²). There were 26,671 housing units at an average density of 70 per square mile (27/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 92.3% White, 2.5% Black or African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 2.4% from other races, and 1.8% from two or more races. 6.5% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 12,690 households out of which 27.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.00% were married couples living together, 8.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.40% were non-families. 25.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.79.
In the county the population was spread out with 21.40% under the age of 18, 6.30% from 18 to 24, 30.80% from 25 to 44, 27.70% from 45 to 64, and 13.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 101.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $42,411, and the median income for a family was $49,302. Males had a median income of $31,240 versus $24,318 for females. The per capita income for the county was $23,614. About 5.50% of families and 8.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.90% of those under age 18 and 5.30% of those age 65 or over.
- Duck, Atlantic Township
- Kill Devil Hills, Atlantic Township
- Kitty Hawk, Atlantic Township
- Manteo, Nags Head Township
- Nags Head, Nags Head Township
- Southern Shores, Atlantic Township
- First Flight High School serving District 3 and District 2
- Atlantic Township (Town of Nags Head is in District 2 but is in Nags Head Township)
- Manteo High School serving District 1
- Cape Hatteras Secondary School Serving District 4
- Avon (Kinnekeet), Kinnekeet Township
- Buffalo City (ghost town), East Lake Township
- Buxton (The Cape), Hatteras Township
- Colington, Atlantic Township
- East Lake, East Lake Township
- Frisco (Trent), Hatteras Township
- Hatteras, Hatteras Township
- Little Kinnekeet (discontinued), Kinnekeet Township
- Manns Harbor, Croatan Township
- Martins Point, Atlantic Township
- Roanoke Island, Nags Head Township
- Rodanthe (Chicamacomico), Kinnekeet Township
- Scarborotown (discontinued), Kinnekeet Township
- Stumpy Point, Croatan Township
- Salvo (Clarks), Kinnekeet Township
- Wanchese, Nags Head Township
- Waves (Chicamacomico), Kinnekeet Township
Dare County is home to two popular lighthouses: The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and the Bodie Island Lighthouse. There is also a beacon atop the Wright Brothers Memorial. A third lighthouse was built by the Town of Manteo and dedicated on September 25, 2004. The Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse is an exterior recreation of the 1877 screwpile lighthouse of the same name and is located on the Manteo waterfront. It serves as exhibit space for the N.C. Maritime Museum on Roanoke Island.
Dare County Regional Airport, a general aviation airport, is located in Dare County.
Public education is run by Dare County Schools:
- Manteo High School
- Manteo Middle School 
- Manteo Elementary School 
- First Flight High School 
- First Flight Middle School 
- First Flight Elementary School 
- Kitty Hawk Elementary School 
- Dare County Alternative School
- Cape Hatteras Secondary School 
- Cape Hatteras Elementary School 
- Nags Head Elementary School 
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Degregory, Lane (1994-10-02). "Buffalo City". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 2008-05-06.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.