Dare County Regional Airport
|Dare County Regional Airport|
|IATA: MEO – ICAO: KMQI – FAA LID: MQI|
|Serves||Manteo, North Carolina|
|Elevation AMSL||14 ft / 4.3 m|
Dare County Regional Airport (IATA: MEO, ICAO: KMQI, FAA LID: MQI) is a public airport located one mile (2 km) northwest of the central business district (CBD) of Manteo, a town in Dare County, North Carolina, USA. This general aviation airport covers 340 acres (138 ha) and has two runways.
The airport offers a small museum chronicling the history of aviation on the Outer Banks. Exhibits include models of aircraft that played a part in the history of Dare County aviation, photos and displays about local aviator Dave Driskill, and the history of the airport.
The airport is adjacent to the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Dare County Regional Airport is assigned MQI by the FAA and MEO by the IATA (which assigned MQI to Quincy, Massachusetts). The airport's ICAO identifier is KMQI.
Since the early 40's Dare County has been served by a small private airport. A public airport was under construction at the time of the Attack on Pearl Harbor, which prompted the Navy to abandon its plans to construct a Naval Auxiliary Air Station at Cape Hatteras, and instead focus on this airport, on Roanoke Island, which had a similar runway configuration. The Naval Auxiliary Air Station Manteo (NAAS Manteo) was completed by the Navy and commissioned on March 3, 1943. NAAS Manteo was shared by the Civil Air Patrol and the Navy, and was used for special training of squadrons of F4F Wildcats, F6F Hellcats, SB2C Helldivers, TBM and TBF Avengers. PBY Catalinas and F4U Corsairs. The Navy and the Coast Guard conducted anti-submarine patrols from the airfield until the field was placed in caretaker status December 15, 1945. In 1947 control of the airfield was returned to Dare County and in 1983 it was taken over by the Dare County airport authority.
- FAA Airport Master Record for MQI ( PDF)
- "Museum". Dare County Airport. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Great Circle Mapper: MEO/KMQI - Manteo, North Carolina (Franklin County Airport)
- Great Circle Mapper: MQI - Quincy, Massachusetts
- AirNav: KMQI - Dare County Regional Airport
- "History of Dare County Airport". Dare County. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Official website
- Dare County Regional Airport Museum
- PDF at North Carolina DOT airport guide
- (PDF), effective April 2, 2015
- FAA Terminal Procedures for MQI, effective April 2, 2015
- Resources for this airport:
|This article about an airport in North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|