|Full name||Darel Francis Roy G. Russell|
|Date of birth||22 October 1980|
|Place of birth||Mile End, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|2010–2012||Preston North End||27||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Charlton Athletic (loan)||11||(2)|
|2014||Tampa Bay Rowdies||25||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 26 January 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Darel Francis Roy G. Russell (born 22 October 1980) is an English footballer who most recently played for Tampa Bay Rowdies in the North American Soccer League. He plays as a central midfielder although during his career has been known for his versatility. Russell started his career at Norwich City.
Russell joined Stoke in 2003 for £125,000, when he was 23. He played regularly under managers Tony Pulis and Johan Boskamp, missing only a handful of matches during a season. He began his Stoke career playing at right back, before being moved to a right winger and then central midfield. Russell won the Championship player of the month award for November 2006. He became a very versatile player for Stoke and made over 170 appearances before returning to Norwich.
Return to Norwich
On 30 July 2007, Russell rejoined the Canaries for an undisclosed fee (reported to be around the £410,000 marked down from £600,000 due to a 30% sell-on clause the canaries had in the deal taking Russell to Stoke in 2003), on a three-year contract. Norwich were relegated to League One after a poor season in the Championship in the 2008–09 season. In the summer of 2009 Norwich rejected a bid of £500,000 from Premier League newcomers Burnley. Norwich's asking price was believed to be around £750,000. After staying at Norwich Russell played a major part in earning them promotion to the Championship at the first time of asking after winning League One, putting in some impressive performances at the heart of central midfield under manager Paul Lambert, with Russell occupying a more defensive central midfield position in a diamond formation.
On 1 July 2010, it was confirmed that Russell had rejected the offer from Norwich City of a new contract, and he was released.
Preston North End
Russell signed for Preston North End on a three-year deal on 4 August 2010. He scored his first and what turned out to be only goal for Preston in the League Cup against future club Charlton Athletic on 13 September 2011. He was transfer listed by the club in May 2012.
Charlton Athletic loan
On 24 November 2011 Russell signed on loan for League One rivals Charlton Athletic until January 2012. On 7 January 2012 this loan was extended until the end of the season. Where he helped Charlton to become League 1 Champions, scoring 2 goals in the process.
On summer transfer deadline day 2012, Russell joined Portsmouth on an initial one-month deal. Russell left Portsmouth on 28 January 2013, a day before his contract with the club was due to expire.
On 14 February, he joined Toronto FC on a trial basis. On 1 March, he signed a contract with the Canadian club. He made his debut for the club on 9 March in a 2–1 home victory over Sporting Kansas City, he came on as a second half sub for John Bostock. Russell scored his first goal for the club on 6 April, the goal came in the 90th minute to earn Toronto a 2–2 home draw against FC Dallas. He was not retained following the 2013 season.
- As of 2 May 2013
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Norwich City||1997–98||First Division||1||0||0||0||0||0||–||1||0|
|Stoke City||2003–04||First Division||46||4||2||0||2||0||–||50||4|
|Preston North End||2010–11||Championship||18||0||1||0||2||0||–||21||0|
|Charlton Athletic (loan)||2011–12||League One||11||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||11||2|
|Toronto FC||2013||Major League Soccer||18||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||18||3|
- Norwich City
- Charlton Athletic
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/08/2010 and 31/08/2010" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- "Russell claims Championship award". BBC News. 10 December 2006.
- RUSSELL RE-JOINS CANARIES | Norwich City | News | First News | First News
- "Preston sign former Norwich midfielder Darel Russell". BBC Sport. 4 August 2010. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "Charlton 0 – 2 Preston". BBC. 13 September 2011. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Graham Westley wields the axe at Preston North End". BBC Sport. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Russell recruited on loan". Charlton Athletic. 24 November 2011. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Russell remains an Addick". Charlton Athletic. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Portsmouth sign Johnny Ertl, Darel Russell and Josh Thompson". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- Darel Russell joins Toronto FC on Trial; Waking the Red, 14 February 2013
- Darel Russell Joins Toronto; Toronto FC, 1 March 2013
- Bottjer, Steve (9 March 2013). "Reds Beat SKC at Rogers Centre". Toronto FC. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Toronto FC rallies to tie FC Dallas
- Miss Frank form at bootcamp