|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 37th district
|Preceded by||Dale Risinger|
August 12, 1976 |
|Alma mater||John Marshall Law School
Darin LaHood (born 1968) is a Republican politician from Peoria, Illinois, who is a member of the Illinois Senate representing the seven-county 37th legislative district. LaHood is the son of Ray LaHood, the former United States Secretary of Transportation and U.S. Representative. He has called himself a fiscal conservative directed to budget issues.
LaHood was a prosecutor in the Tazewell County state's attorney's office and the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Nevada in Las Vegas. On returning to Peoria in 2005, he took up private law practice; as of 2011[update] he is in the Peoria law firm of Miller, Hall & Triggs.
He ran for Peoria County state's attorney in 2008, losing to incumbent Kevin Lyons. He has also been involved in several other Republican campaigns, including Bill Brady's 2010 campaign for governor and Dan Rutherford's campaign for Illinois Treasurer.
He was appointed to the Illinois Senate on 27 February 2011, at the age of 42, and took office March 1, the day after Dale Risinger retired. When appointed, LaHood announced he would run for election to a full term in 2012, which he won, running unopposed.
- "Illinois General Assembly - Senator Biography". Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- Dahl, Dave. "Illinois Senate passes workers’ comp reform". Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "US Congressman Ray LaHood (Archived version from 2003)". Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "Darin LaHood gets nod to replace Risinger on senate". The Register-Mail. Galesburg, Illinois: GateHouse Media. February 27, 2011. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- Heath, Brad; McCoy, Kevin. "Prosecutor misconduct lets convicted off easy". USA TODAY. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "LaHood eager to serve (Darin LaHood sworn in as newest state senator)". Peoria Journal Star (Peoria, Illinois: GateHouse Media). 2011-03-01. p. B1. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Senator Darin M. LaHood (R) 37th District at the Illinois General Assembly
- State Senator Darin LaHood
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|