|Genres||Dark Atmospheric, Goth Opera |
|Labels||Ancestral Craft Productions
Wounded Love Records
|Past members||Marquise Ermia|
The band's first official release was a 20 minute single-track music CD, Funeral Cry, released in 1997. At that time, the band consisted of only two members, Arkdae on keyboards and Marquise Ermia on vocals.
In 1998, the band added additional members to their line-up: Hylgaryss (Keyboards), Sombre Cÿr (Percussion/Bass) and Eliane (Violins). Together, they recorded their debut album, Royaume Mélancolique. They also held their first concert in September 1998 near Paris.
Right after the recording sessions, Marquise Ermia left the band to continue her studies, and a new singer, Dame Pandora, joined.
Their 3rd album, L'Être Las - L'envers Du Miroir was recorded in March 2002 and released at the beginning of 2003, a few months after the release of a two-track single. This album was a huge success in France and Germany.
After few concerts in France, the band returned to Germany to record their 4th album, Les Mémoires Blessées. This album, which was released in early 2004, confirmed Dark Sanctuary's own style while providing a deeper maturity, as well as new musical horizons.
In 2005, their first compilation album Thoughts: 9 Years In The Sanctuary was released.
As of 2009, they will be on an indefinite hiatus. They have finished recording, and shall be releasing, a collaborative effort with Victoria Francés entitled Dark Sanctuary.
Victims of illegal copying
German rapper Bushido has been charged with copying 16 songs from Dark Sanctuary. The song "Les Mémoires Blessées" was sampled by Bushido on his single "Janine" (2007) off his 6th and top-selling album Von der Skyline zum Bordstein zurück (2006). On that album Bushido sampled eight musical works of Dark Sanctuary without permission, including the songs "Les Larmes du méprisé" (used on "Hast du was bist du was"), and "L'autre Monde" (used on "Sex in the City").
On 23 March, 2010 he was convicted by the German courts, and was obliged to stop sales of the particular albums, singles and samples, including Von der Skyline zum Bordstein zurück. In addition to that, he was bound to recall and destroy all unsold copies. 
A video was leaked to the internet, by Marzel Becker and Stephan Heller, two German music critics. In the video they compared Dark Sanctuary's songs to Bushido's songs. 
- Royaume Mélancolique (1999)
- De Lumière et d'Obscurité (2000)
- L'être las - L'envers du miroir (2003)
- Les Mémoires Blessées (2004)
- Exaudi Vocem Meam - Part 1 (2005)
- Exaudi Vocem Meam - Part 2 (2006)
- Dark Sanctuary (2009)
Singles and EPs
- Funeral Cry (1998)
- Vie Éphémère (2002)
- La Clameur du Silence (promo) (2004)
- Thoughts: 9 Years in the Sanctuary (2005)
- Dame Pandora - vocals
- Arkdae - keyboards/guitars — (Also on the album Mournument), with the Dutch band Deinonychus)
- Hylgaryss - keyboards/guitars
- Sombre Cÿr - bass/percussion — (Is one of the owners of Kaosthetik Konspiration)
- Alexis - Percussion
- Eliane - violins
- Marguerite - violins
- Marquise Ermia - vocals
- "Gericht lässt Bushido-Alben schreddern". spiegel.de. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- Biography on Rock Detector
- Biography on Metal Storm
- CD Review on Sonic Cathedral
- Discography on Spirit of metal
- Interview with Dark Sanctuary
- Dark Sanctuary Official Site
- Dark Sanctuary discography at MusicBrainz
- Dark Sanctuary at last.fm
- Dark Sanctuary at Encyclopaedia Metallum