||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|Birth name||Darlene Joyce Steinhardt|
8 September 1965 |
|Origin||Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|Occupations||Singer, Songwriter, Pastor|
|Labels||Hillsong Music Australia (AUS)
|Associated acts||Hillsong Church|
Darlene Joyce Zschech (/ /; born Steinhardt on 8 September 1965 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) is an Australian Pentecostal Christian worship leader and singer-songwriter who primarily writes praise and worship songs. She is the former worship pastor of Hillsong Church and is currently a member of Compassionart, a charity founded by Martin Smith.
In 2003, Zschech released her first solo album in nine years, entitled Kiss of Heaven. She had earlier released a vinyl album in 1987 called Make The Choice and a cassette album in 1993 called Pearls & Gold. Change Your World followed in 2005. She has since released two albums in 2011 called Simply Darlene and You Are Love. In addition to writing songs, Zschech has written four books: Worship (1996), Extravagant Worship (2002), The Kiss of Heaven (2003) and The Great Generational Transition (2009).
Zschech was the worship pastor of Hillsong Church from 1996 to 2007. She stepped down as worship pastor in 2007 and Reuben Morgan was appointed to the worship pastor position in 2008. At Hillsong she still leads worship on a regular basis and is a key leader of the church's team for conferences. She travels regularly with the Hillsong team throughout the world leading people in worship.
Hope Unlimited Church
In January 2011, Zschech and her husband became senior pastors at Church Unlimited (later named Hope Unlimited Church) in Charmhaven on the New South Wales central coast, but Zschech intends to still be part of the Hillsong Worship Team, leading worship at Hillsong's key events during the year. She also continues to host the Creative Stream at the Hillsong Conference while leading tours with the Hillsong Team around the world.
The Zschech family have founded an organisation called Hope Rwanda. Hope Rwanda now runs long-term development projects, such as Hope Education and the Village of Hope, and has hosted Parramatta Eels trips to Rwanda with CEO Paul Osborne.
Shout to the Lord
Songs written or co-written by Zschech include:
- Stone's Been Rolled Away (1993)
- "Your Name"
- People Just Like Us (1994)
- Friends in High Places (1995)
- "Praise His Holy Name"
- "Rock of Ages" with Geoff Bullock
- "Lord I Give Myself"
- God Is in the House (1996)
- "God Is in the House" with Russell Fragar
- "And That My Soul Knows Very Well" with Fragar
- "Let the Peace of God Reign"
- "Walking in the Light"
- "I Will Run To You"
- All Things Are Possible (1997)
- "All Things Are Possible"
- "I Live to Know You"
- "I Know It"
- "Glory to the King"
- Touching Heaven Changing Earth (1998)
- "That's What We Came Here For" with Fragar
- "I Will Bless You Lord"
- "Jesus You're All I Need"
- "The Potter's Hand"
- By Your Side (1999)
- "Sing of Your Great Love"
- "Free to Dance"
- For This Cause (2000)
- "Here to Eternity" with David Moyse
- "It Is You"
- You Are My World (2001)
- "To You"
- "Worthy Is the Lamb"
- Blessed (2002)
- "Blessed" with Reuben Morgan
- Hope (2003)
- "My Hope"
- "You Are"
- For All You've Done (2004)
- "You Are Worthy"
- "Glorify Your Name" with David Holmes
- God He Reigns (2005)
- "Know You More"
- Mighty to Save (2006)
- Saviour King (2007)
- "One Thing" with Marty Sampson
- This Is Our God (2008)
- "High and Lifted Up" with Mike Guglielmucci
- Faith + Hope + Love (2009)
- "His Glory Appears" with Marty Sampson
- A Beautiful Exchange (2010)
- "Believe" with Reuben Morgan
- God is Able (2011)
- "Cry of the Broken"
- You Are Love (2011)
- "Under Grace"
- "Saving Me"
- "You Are Love"
- "We are Your People"
- "I Will Wait"
- "Hope for Humanity"
- "Cry of the Broken"
- "Face to face"
- Revealing Jesus (2013)
- "God Is Here"
- "In Jesus' Name"
- "Victor's Crown"
- "Yours Forever (You Took The Nails)"
- "My Jesus I Love Thee (I Love You Jesus)"
- "Your Name/Cry Of The Broken"
- "I Am Yours"
- "Shout To The Lord" (DVD Only)
Notes and references
- Powell, Mark Allan (2002). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music (First printing ed.). Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers. p. 1067. ISBN 1-56563-679-1.
- official website
- Hope Rwanda project by Mark and Darlene Zschech
- Faithtalks.com Interview with Darlene Zschech
- Song/Ministry links