Darlington County, South Carolina
|Darlington County, South Carolina|
Location in the state of South Carolina
South Carolina's location in the U.S.
|• Total||567 sq mi (1,469 km2)|
|• Land||561 sq mi (1,453 km2)|
|• Water||6 sq mi (16 km2), 0.99%|
|• Density||123/sq mi (47.3/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Darlington County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. As of the 2010 census, its population was at 68,681. Its county seat is Darlington. The county's population was nearly 60% rural in 2000.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 566.8 square miles (1,468.0 km2), of which 561.2 square miles (1,453.5 km2) is land and 5.7 square miles (14.8 km2) (1.0%) is water.
- Marlboro County, South Carolina - northeast
- Florence County, South Carolina - southeast
- Lee County, South Carolina - southwest
- Kershaw County, South Carolina - west
- Chesterfield County, South Carolina - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 67,394 people, 25,793 households, and 18,441 families residing in the county. The population density was 120 people per square mile (46/km²). There were 28,942 housing units at an average density of 52 per square mile (20/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 56.98% White, 41.70% Black or African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.39% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. 0.98% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 25,793 households out of which 32.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.30% were married couples living together, 18.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.50% were non-families. 25.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county, the population was spread out with 26.30% under the age of 18, 9.00% from 18 to 24, 28.20% from 25 to 44, 24.40% from 45 to 64, and 12.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 89.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $31,087, and the median income for a family was $37,662. Males had a median income of $30,947 versus $20,998 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,283. About 16.40% of families and 20.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.70% of those under age 18 and 22.10% of those age 65 or over.
As of Census 2000, Darlington County was classified as 41% urban and 59% rural. It contains the two urbanized areas of Hartsville (2000 pop. 14,907) and Darlington (12,066). The county's population is included within the Florence Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Orlando Hudson, a baseball player for the Los Angeles Dodgers, was born in Darlington.
- Albert Haynesworth, a professional football player who plays for the Washington Redskins, was born in Hartsville.
- Bobo Newsom, MLB pitcher with the Tigers, Senators, Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, Giants, and Red Sox. He compiled a 211-222 record over 20 seasons, including a 21-5 season in 1940. Hwy 151 in Hartsville is named Bobo Newsom Highway in his honor.
- Jordan Lyles, a professional baseball player for the Houston Astros, was born in Hartsville.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Darlington County's Website
- Darlington County School District
- 1905 Reprint of Bishop Gregg's History of the Old Cheraws with additional material as an appendix. (Google Book pdf)
||Chesterfield County||Marlboro County|
|Lee County||Florence County|