Young during training camp with the Redskins in 2011
No. 36 Washington Redskins
|Date of birth:April 8, 1987|
|Place of birth: Amityville, New York|
|High school: Amityville (NY) Memorial|
|Undrafted in 2009|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Washington Redskins|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 4, 2014
Darrel Young (born April 8, 1987) is an American football fullback for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Redskins as an undrafted free agent as a linebacker prospect in 2009. He played college football as a linebacker at Villanova University.
2009 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 in||244 lb||4.59 s||1.56 s||2.58 s||4.27 s||6.94 s||32 in||9 ft 4 in||24 reps|
|All values from Villanova Pro Day.|
On May 4, 2009, Young signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent. He was waived by on September 5, 2009, but added to the team's practice squad two days later. Young was released on September 24, 2009
Young signed a futures contract with the Washington Redskins on January 5, 2010. When he reported for camp, Young was surprised to learn that he had been converted to a fullback. Mike Shanahan stated, "Just the way he hit, we needed some fullbacks and we thought since he had good hands he might be the ideal candidate," which was the reason for Young's transition. The position wasn't completely foreign to Young, who was recruited to Villanova as a running back before he was moved to linebacker. He ended up making the Redskins' final 53-man roster as the backup fullback after all cuts were made. On November 15, 2010, Young scored his first career receiving touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles.
Young was named the starting fullback for the Washington Redskins at the beginning of training camp in 2011. He scored his first career rushing touchdown in Week 15 against the New York Giants. In Week 16 against the Minnesota Vikings, Young had a costly holding penalty called on him that nullified Brandon Banks' 59-yard touchdown run.
Despite missing every preseason game, Young was able to start in the season opener against the New Orleans Saints. In the Week 6 win against the Minnesota Vikings, he caught a six-yard pass from Robert Griffin III for a touchdown. He would score his second touchdown for the season after catching another six-yard pass in the endzone.
Set to be a restricted free agent in the 2013 season, Young re-signed with the Redskins to a $6.2 million, three-year contract on March 9, 2013. On November 3, 2013, Young recorded three rushing touchdowns, the last being the game-winning score in overtime against the San Diego Chargers. He would score a 62-yard touchdown reception against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 11.
- Darrel Young, DS #46 ILB, Villanova
- "Darrel Young Signs Free Agent Contract with Washington Redskins". VillaNova.com. May 4, 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Reid, Jason (September 5, 2009). "Alridge, Bridges Among Redskins' Cuts (Updated)". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Redskins Sign Nine Players to Futures Contracts". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- "Training Camp Tracker". The Washington Post. August 17, 2010.
- Campbell, Rich (August 8, 2011). "Redskins’ Darrel Young gets inspiration from across the world". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Darrel Young Named Starter At Fullback For Washington Redskins". thenovablog.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "Darrel Young’s first rushing TD comes against childhood team". WashingtonPost.com. December 18, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-19.
- Steinberg, Dan (December 24, 2011). "Redskins-Vikings best and worst". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Tinsman, Brian (October 15, 2012). "Stats Recap: Redskins-Vikings". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 18, 2012). "Redskins Stifle Eagles At Home, Win 31-6". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Keim, John (March 9, 2013). "Redskins re-sign Logan Paulsen, Darrel Young". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- Jones, Mike (March 9, 2013). "Redskins re-sign fullback Darrel Young". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- Zappulla, Jordan (November 4, 2013). "Darrel Young: Sunday's Deserving, Unlikely Hero". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- Czarda, Stephen (November 19, 2013). "Young Continues Growth As A Playmaker". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darrel Young.|