Darrell J. Doughty
Darrell Jennings Doughty (June 24, 1936 – May 22, 2009) was a biblical scholar who taught New Testament and Early Christianity at Drew Theological Seminary for 35 years. Doughty is associated with the revival of Dutch radicalism, along with Hermann Detering (Germany) and Robert M. Price. He was an ordained minister of the Presbyterian Church.
Life and career
Born in Twin Falls, Idaho, Doughty moved to Oakland, California at an early age, and graduated from Fremont High School in 1954. After obtaining a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1958, he studiedtheology at San Francisco Theological Seminary, from where he obtained his divinity degree in 1962. Three years later he obtained a doctorate from the University of Göttingen, Germany, where he had been a student of Hans Conzelmann. Before moving to Madison, New Jersey, in 1969, he taught New Testament theology at Princeton Theological Seminary and at Southwestern at Memphis (now Rhodes College). During his career at Drew Theological Seminary, he became the editor of Drew’s publication Gateway Magazine, and the associate editor of the Journal of Higher Criticism. He retired to Portland, Maine, in 2004.
- Heiligkeit und Freiheit: eine exegetische Untersuchung der Anwendung des paulinischen Freiheitsgedanken in 1 Kor 7 (Ph.D. diss., Göttingen, 1965)
- "The Priority of XAPIΣ," New Testament Studies, vol. 19 (1973), pp. 163-180
- "The Presence and Future of Salvation in Corinth," Zeitschrift für die Neutestamentliche Wissenschaft und die Kunde der Älteren Kirche, vol. 66 (1975), pp. 61-90
- "Women and Liberation in the Churches of Paul and the Pauline Tradition," Drew Gateway, vol. 50 (1979), pp. 1-21
- "The Authority of the Son of Man (Mk 2.1-3.6)," Zeitschrift für die Neutestamentliche Wissenschaft und die Kunde der Älteren Kirche, vol. 74 (1983), pp. 161-181
- "Luke's Story of Paul in Corinth: Fictional History in Acts 18," Journal of Higher Criticism, vol. 1 (1994), pp. 95-128
- "Citizens of Heaven: Philippians 3.2-21," New Testament Studies, vol. 41 (1995), pp. 102-122
- "Pauline Paradigms and Pauline Authenticity," Journal of Higher Criticism, vol. 4 (1997), pp. 3-54
- Robert M. Price, The Pre-Nicene New Testament: Fifty-four Formative Texts, (Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 2006), p. 1182; see also William O. Walker, Jr, Interpolations in the Pauline Letters (Journal for the Study of the New Testament, Supplement Series, vol. 213; London and New York: Sheffield Academic Press, 2001), pp. 57-58.
- "Darrell J. Doughty Obituary". Portland Press Herald. May 31, 2009.