Darrell K. Sweet
|Darrell K. Sweet|
Cover art for The Runelords
August 15, 1934|
Highland Park, New Jersey
|Died||December 5, 2011(aged 77)|
|Known for||Fantasy, science fiction, and western illustration|
Darrell K. Sweet (August 15, 1934 – December 5, 2011) was a professional illustrator best known for providing cover art for science fiction and fantasy novels, in which capacity he was nominated for Hugo award in 1983.
Sweet was born in Highland Park, New Jersey. He graduated from Syracuse University in 1956 with a degree in fine arts. He also produced art for trading cards and calendars. He was famous for providing the covers of the fantasy epic saga The Wheel of Time. He was also the illustrator for the well-known Xanth series by Piers Anthony, the Saga of Recluce series by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. and the Runelords series by David Farland as well as the original cover artist for Stephen R. Donaldson's series The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.
His career in science fiction began in 1975, when Judy-Lynn del Rey hired him to produce the front cover for Fritz Lieber's novel Gather Darkness. Between 1975 and 2005, Sweet produced over 3000 images. He died in 2011.
Sweet was a guest of honor at Tuckercon in 2007, at the 2010 World Fantasy Convention in 2010, and LepreCon in 2011. In 2011, he was selected as a guest of honor for LoneStarCon 3; after his death, LoneStarCon chose to "continue to feature him in memoriam as one of our honored Guests."
- "Darrell K. Sweet - Summary Bibliography". Internet Speculative Fiction Database. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "Darrell K. Sweet (1934-2011)". Locus Online. 2011-12-05. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "Darrell K. Sweet: The Dragon Man", by David Lee Anderson; LoneStarCon 3: the 71st World Science Fiction Convention program book; page 20
- ISFDB entry on Darrell K. Sweet which pre-dates this article at the Wayback Machine (archived September 18, 2004)
- Gallo, Irene (December 5, 2011). "Darrell K Sweet TOR obit". TOR. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- History of Past Leprecon, Inc. Conventions and Sponsored Events, by the LepreCon 40 Organizing Committee; retrieved October 07, 2014
- LoneStarCon 3 - 71st Worldcon in San Antonio, Texas - Guests, by the LoneStarCon III Organizing Committee; retrieved June 19, 2013
- Official website (archived) Sweetartwork.com at Internet Archive
- Darrell K. Sweet at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Darrell Sweet at Library of Congress Authorities, with 4 catalog records