|Born||1962 (age 52–53)
|Alma mater||Concordia University
University of Toronto
|Known for||Executive Chair of TELUS|
Entwistle joined TELUS in 2000 and shortly after initiated the company’s wireless and data growth strategy with the $6.6 billion purchase of Clearnet, one of the largest acquisitions in Canadian telecommunications history.
Born in Montreal, Quebec, Entwistle received a Bachelor of Economics (Honours) from Concordia University, an MBA (Finance) from McGill University and a diploma in Network Engineering from the University of Toronto.
Before joining TELUS, Entwistle spent seven years as an executive at Cable & Wireless in the United Kingdom- including being named president in 1999. Under Entwistle’s decade-long incumbency as CEO, TELUS has nearly doubled in size, from $5.7 billion in annual revenue to $10.9 billion. He has spent 30 years in the telecommunications industry. Entwistle is on a number of boards, including the Canadian Council of Chief Executives, George Weston Limited and the Canadian Board Diversity Council. He has also sat on the boards of TD Bank Financial Group, the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, and the Leading Edge Endowment Fund. Darren also served as Chair of the Royal Conservatory of Music’s Capital Campaign and was a Director for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games bid committee.
- January 2003 - Awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal, which recognizes Canadians who have made outstanding and exemplary contributions to the community and Canada as a whole.
- February 2007 - Honoured by McGill University, Desautels Faculty of Management, with the McGill Management Achievement Award for making significant and valuable contributions to business and the community.
- February 2008 - Recognized by Investor Relations magazine for Best Investor Relations by a CEO.
- March 2009 - Received the British Columbia Community Achievement Award for his contribution to philanthropic projects in British Columbia.
- November 2010 - Named Philanthropy Business Leader of the Year Award by the David Foster Foundation.
- March 2011 - Named the 30th Recipient of the Canadian Business Leader Award from the Alberta School of Business, University of Alberta. This award recognizes achievements by entrepreneurs, leaders and pioneers of progress in the Canadian business world.
- November 2011 - Honoured with the T. Patrick Boyle Founder's Award from the Fraser Institute for outstanding achievements in entrepreneurship, the promotion of free-markets, and philanthropic support for private sector, non-profit enterprises.
- May 2012 - Received an Honorary Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
TELUS recognition (partial list)
- November 2008 - Eighth straight year and only North American telco named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
- July 2008 - Recipient of Information Technology Association of Canada Corporate IT Hero Award.
- January 2009 - One of nine Canadian companies across all sectors to be named among the Global 100 Most Sustainable Companies in the World by Corporate Knights.
- April 2010 - Named most Outstanding Philanthropic Corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- February 2011 - Named one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers by Maclean's, recognizing the nation’s leaders in creating diverse and inclusive workplaces.
- December 2012 - Received inaugural Volunteer's Award for Business Leadership from Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- Lori Bamber. "On the Line with Darren Entwistle". BCBusiness.
- Telus CEO made $14 billion last year TELUS reports fourth quarter 2012 results and announces financial targets for 2013
- Telus and Clearnet Merge - The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Elizabeth Lumley (2008). Canadian Who's Who 2008: Volume 43.
- "McGill University: Darren Entwistle, Governor". Globe and Mail.
- "TELUS reports fourth quarter 2012 results and announces financial targets for 2013".
- "Capital Campaign Chair Announced".
- The Governor General of Canada > Honours > Find a Recipient
- Event: 27th Annual Management Achievement Awards
- TELUS CEO Darren Entwistle honoured with Fraser Institute' s T. Patrick Boyle Founder' s Award | Fraser Institute
- Honorary Degree Citation - Darren Entwistle | Concordia University Archives
- The Info Tech 100 - Businessweek
- Abstract wins homebuilding gold
- Telus takes home corporate IT Hero award - Page 1 - IT Women - IT Workplace
- WBCSD - World Business Council for Sustainable Development
- MTS, SaskTel and TELUS make Canada's Top 100 Employers list | MobileSyrup.com
- Government of Canada Congratulates TELUS on Philanthropic Award - Industry Canada Site
- TELUS Corporation | Diversity | Eluta.ca