|Real name||Darren John Sutherland|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
18 April 1982|
Rotunda Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
|Died||14 September 2009
Bromley, London, England
|Wins by KO||4|
|Competitor for Ireland|
|EU Amateur Championships|
Darren John Sutherland (18 April 1982 – 14 September 2009) was an Irish professional boxer from County Meath, Ireland. His amateur career was crowned by a bronze medal for Ireland in the middleweight division at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China.
Provincial and national titles
Sutherland represented the St. Saviour's ABC in Dublin and won the Leinster senior title in 2005, 2006 and 2007. He faced Edward Healy in the 2006 and 2007 Final and the young Darren O'Neill in 2008 winning all three.
European and World championships
At the World Championships 2007 he was beaten by Alfonso Blanco who went on to win a silver medal in the competition.
World amateur championship results
- Defeated Badrakh Ganbold (Mongolia) RSCO 2
- Defeated Edwin Rodriguez (United States) RSCO 2
- Lost to Matvey Korobov (Russia) RSCO 3
- Defeated Roy Cooke (Dominica) walk-over
- Defeated Andranik Hakobyan (Armenia) 22-20
- Lost to Alfonso Blanco (Venezuela) 13-20
Sutherland reached the semi-finals of the boxing tournament in the 2008 Olympics and took a bronze medal. He lost his fight to James DeGale in the semi-finals 10-3. Sutherland announced that it was his last ever amateur boxing match.
- 1st round bye
- Defeated Nabil Kassel (Algeria) RSC 4
- Defeated Alfonso Blanco (boxer) (Venezuela) 11-1
- Lost to James DeGale (Great Britain) 3-10
Following the exposure gained at the Olympics, Sutherland was offered a number of contracts as a professional boxer. In October 2008 he signed terms with London-based promoter Frank Maloney. On 18 December 2008, Sutherland made a winning start to his professional career with a first round knockout of Georgi Iliev in Dublin. After the bout, Sutherland's promoter Frank Maloney said "I think we've found a real superstar here tonight and this is just the start of a long journey". His next fight, against Siarhei Navarka on 6 March at Robin Park Arena in Wigan, ended with Sutherland winning by a third round stoppage.
|4 Wins (4 Knockouts), 0 Defeat, 0 Draws|
|Win||Gennadiy Rasalev||30/06/09||Frank Moloney||York Hall, London||Last ever fight|
|Win||Vepkhia Tchilaia||29/05/09||Frank Moloney||Fenton Manor Sports Complex, Stoke-on-Trent|
|Win||Siarhei Navarka||06/06/09||Frank Moloney||Robin Park Arena, Wigan||First fight in UK|
|Win||Georgi Iliev||18/12/08||Frank Moloney||DCU Sports Complex, Dublin||First professional fight|
On 14 September 2009, Sutherland was found dead with his wrists bound at his apartment in Bromley, Greater London, by his promoter, Frank Maloney. He is alleged to have died by suicide by hanging himself. It has also been confirmed that he suffered from depression. Olympic gold medalist, James Degale commented on the death stating: "It is very, very sad news - I just can't believe it, It is a tragedy. First and foremost, my heart goes out to his family. I just could not believe it; my heart went to the floor when I heard. He was a big part of my Olympic medal journey and it is just terrible. I just do not know what to say except that he was a brilliant fighter, in fact an excellent fighter, and he was a gentleman outside the ring as well. He had an Olympic bronze medal and his whole life to look forward to. He had a great future, and my heart goes out to everyone who knew him."  At the time, he was dating Irish model Hazel O'Sullivan.
He was exhumed in September 2010 for a further private postmortem at the request of his family.
- Mitchell, Kevin (15 September 2009). "Olympic bronze medallist Darren Sutherland found hanged". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "Darren Sutherland wins gold in Helsinki". RTE. Retrieved 11 January 2007.[dead link]
- Bernard O'Neill. "EU Championship Preview". Irish-boxing.com. Retrieved 11 January 2007.
- Tomás Rohan. "2007 Irish Seniors Preview". Irish-boxing.com. Retrieved 11 January 2007.
- RTÉ Sport (20 August 2008). "Sutherland secures Olympic medal". RTE. Retrieved 20 August 2008.
- "Sutherland finally taking on the world". independent.ie. 14 December 2008. Retrieved 14 December 2008.
- "Dream debut for Daz". www.skysports.com. 19 December 2008. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- "Darren Sutherland 'in a panic' before death". RTÉ News. 13 March 2012.
- Lewis, Ron (15 September 2009). "Frank Maloney ill after finding Olympic boxing hero Darren Sutherland hanged". The Times (London). Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "Latest Stories From News.Com.Au".
- "Sutherland was in 'quite a happy mood'". BBC News. 24 September 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- Ryan, Alexandra (25 March 2012). "Darren Sutherland's ex-girlfriend Hazel O'Sullivan reveals how some tried to make her a scapegoat". London: Mail Online. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "Body of Sutherland exhumed". The Irish Times. 9 September 2010.