Darsheel Safary at Lagaan 10 Year Celebration.
March 9, 1997 |
|Height||5 ft 1 in (155 cm)|
Darsheel Safary is an Indian film actor working in Hindi Bollywood films. He played a dyslexic child in the 2007 film Taare Zameen Par. He is also a student at H R College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
In 2007, Safary made his acting debut in Taare Zameen Par, playing the film's protagonist Ishaan Nandkishore Awasthi. Safary was discovered by script writer and creative director, Amol Gupte during late 2006 when he was looking for a male lead for his film, Taare Zameen Par.. After going through hundreds of auditions, Gupte found Safary at Shiamak Davar’s dancing school, "Summer Funk". In choosing Safary, Gupte had a number of boys audition for a scene in which they would informally describe how they would "bunk" school after being given a few scenarios. He recalls, “It was a tough call. But Darsheel has the mischief in his eyes to be Ishaan. Everyone just naturally gravitated towards him."
Safary's performance as a struggling dyslexic child in the film was praised by film critics[dead link] and he won several awards for his performance. Taran Adarsh from indiaFM who wrote, "Taare Zameen Par belongs to Master Darsheel Safary. A performance that makes the best of performances pale in comparison. A performance that deserves brownie points. A performance that'll always come first on your mind the moment someone mentions Taare Zameen Par. A performance that's impeccable, flawless and astounding. A performance that moves you and makes you reflect on your growing years. A performance that merits a special award!" Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN wrote, "Darsheel Safary steals your heart as Ishaan Awasthi. Darsheel is a revelation as an actor, he's spontaneous and lovable and carries this film completely on his shoulders". Other reviewers called Safary the "real star of the film"  and his performance as "brilliant".
In a 2007 interview, Safary stated that his future career plans may include singing, dancing, becoming a businessman or jewelery designer.
Star Screen Awards
- 2008: Star Screen Award for Best Child Artist -Taare Zameen Par
- 2008: Star Screen Award Special Jury Award – Taare Zameen Par
Zee Cine Awards
- 2008: Zee Cine Award - Critics' Choice Best Actor – Taare Zameen Par
- 2008: Zee Cine Awards – Most Promising Debut (Child Artiste) – Taare Zameen Par
- As contestant
on September 1, 2012
|2007||Taare Zameen Par||Ishaan Nandkishore Awasthi||Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor
Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor
|2010||Bumm Bumm Bole||Pinu (Pinakin)|
|2011||Zokkomon||Kunal / Zokkomon|
|2012||Midnight's Children||Saleem Sinai|
- Shahryar, Faridoon (27 December 2007). "Darsheel deserves National Award for Best Actor". IndiaFM. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- Vij, Gauri (3 February 2008). "A leap of faith". The Hindu. Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- Kelkar, Reshma (12 January 2008). "Darsheel Safary is best newcomer of the year!". The Times of India. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Adarsh Taran (21 December 2007). "Taare Zameen Par review". IndiaFM. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Masand, Rajeev (2007-12-21). "Taare Zameen Par may change your life". IBN-CNN. Archived from the original on 2008-06-23. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- Pandohar, Jaspreet (2007-12-18). "Taare Zameen Par (2007)". BBC. Archived from the original on 2010-07-28. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Bhaskaran, Gautaman (2008-01-31). "Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 2010-07-28. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- Rao, Girish (26 December 2007). "'I want to be an actor, singer and dancer'". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (23 February 2008). "Winners of 53rd Fair One Filmfare Awards". IndiaFM. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (6 February 2008). "Nominees – 53rd Annual Filmfare Awards". IndiaFM. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network (27 April 2008). "Winners of the Zee Cine Awards 2008". IndiaFM. Retrieved 2008-04-27.