Dartford railway station
|Local authority||Borough of Dartford|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|- Interchange||0.382 million|
|- Interchange||0.384 million|
|Key dates||Opened 30 July 1849|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Dartford from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Dartford railway station serves the town of Dartford in Kent, England. All train services from the station are operated by Southeastern, which also manages the station. Dartford is a major interchange station in the North Kent region of the Southeastern network. Ticket barriers control access to the platforms.
The station is the nodal point for three lines from London:
The first station was opened here by the South Eastern Railway it extended its North Kent Line from Gravesend on 30 July 1849, taking the line from there to London. The original station building had an Italianate design; this was replaced by a glass and metal ticket office complex in 1972. A footbridge leads across the line to the two island platforms, which are capable of a very large number of train movements during a working day. There are four carriage sidings at the country end of the station. Replacement of the 1972 station building was approved in 2011, with enabling works started late that year, and major works commencing in mid-2012. The new building was opened in August 2013 with all works scheduled for completion by November of that year.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 2 to London Cannon Street via Greenwich
- 2 to London Charing Cross Semi-fast service via Woolwich Arsenal and Lewisham
- 2 to London Victoria via Bexleyheath and Lewisham
- 2 to London Charing Cross Semi-fast service via Bexleyheath and Lewisham
- 2 to London Charing Cross Semi-fast service via Sidcup
- 2 to Gillingham
- 2 to Gravesend
Arriva Kent Thameside Routes 414, 423, 455, 477, 480, 490 serve the station.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
North Kent Line
Dartford Loop Line
Concessionary and electronic ticketing
Although not within Greater London, cross-boundary concessionary travel is available (other than Mon-Fri before 09.30) between Greater London and Dartford station for the following :-
Use of such tickets might involve inspection by staff rather than use of automatic gates.
Non-concessionary Oyster cards are valid on TfL bus routes but not on trains to/from the station.
- British Transport Police, London South Area
- Victor Bockris, Keith Richards: The Unauthorised Biography - Page 21, 2002, Omnibus Press, ISBN 0-7119-8868-4
- Christopher Sandford, Keith Richards: Satisfaction - Page 174, 2004, Carroll & Graf Publishers, ISBN 0-7867-1368-2
- http://www.tfl.gov.uk TfL website, specific pages are not constant
- As reported in uk.railway newsgroup Aug 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dartford railway station.|