|Launched||29 September 2005|
|Closed||31 December 2013|
|Owned by||NBCUniversal (2005-2008)
Dmitri Lesnevsky (2008-2012)
The Walt Disney Company (2012-2013)
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Replaced by||Disney Channel (Germany)|
Das Vierte (English: The Fourth) was a German TV station replaced in January 2014 by Disney Channel.
Das Vierte was launched by NBC Universal Global Networks (NUGN) in 2005 as an all-drama programming channel. The channel reached its 1% first-year goal with the expectations of doubling in two to three years. In 2008, NUGN sold the station to Mini Movie International Channel, owned by Dmitri Lesnevsky, as the station was losing money. Lesnevsky expected to turn the station around through rebranding then reselling it. In 2010, Phoenix Media planned to buy the station but that fell through. As of 2011, the station had a market share of 0.2%. In September 2012, The Walt Disney Company announced a deal to purchase Das Vierte. Disney closed on the deal by December 2012. In April 2013, Disney announced that Das Vierte would become a Disney Channel in January 2014. Disney closed the channel on 31 December 2013.
Das Vierte started with the slogan "Wir sind Hollywood" (We are Hollywood). The programming later moved away from Hollywood productions and towards a cooperation with the Anixe TV network.
Via the air waves, the station had an availability to 93% of German TV households.
- "Neuer TV-Sender: Disney-Channel ersetzt ab Januar Das Vierte - SPIEGEL ONLINE" (in German). Spiegel Online. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Kemp, Stuart; Scott Roxborough (5 June 2008). "NBCU Global Networks selling Das Vierte". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Roxborough, Scott (25 September 2012). "Disney Buys German Channel Das Vierte". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Roxborough, Scott (17 April 2013). "Walt Disney to Launch Free-TV Channel in Germany". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Das Vierte verabschiedet sich" (in German). Digitalfernsehen.de. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- Roxborough, Scott (November 14, 2013). "Disney Betting on Pixar Movies, ABC Series in German Network Launch". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 18, 2014.