Dasari Narayana Rao
|Dasari Narayana Rao|
4 May 1944 |
Palakol,West Godavari,Andhra Pradesh, India
Dasari Narayana Rao (born 4 May 1944, Palakol, West Godavari), is an Indian film director known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema, and few Bollywood films. He has directed about 150 films, produced 53 films and worked in more than 250 films as a dialogue writer, and lyricist. Most of his films emphasise social injustice, corruption and gender discrimination. He has received two National Film Awards, nine state Nandi Awards, and five Filmfare Awards South. Besides graduating with a BA degree, he used to take part in scores of drama competitions. During his career he has also acted in Telugu, Tamil, and Kannada languages.
He holds Limca World Record for directing the most number of films. He directed films like Tandra Paparayudu, (1986), Surigaadu (1992), premiered at International Film Festival of India in the panorama section, and Kante Koothurne Kanu (2000) which received the National Film Award Special Mention Feature Film. In 1983, he directed Meghasandesam which received critical acclaim at the Indian panorama, Chicago, 1983 Cannes Film Festival and Moscow film festivals. The film has also received the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu.
Early life and career as a journalist
Later, Dasari was elected to the Rajya Sabha He became the Minister of state in Ministry of Coal. Said to be a confidante of Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Dasari once again became active in politics after Congress Party came back to power in 2004.
- Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) – Kante Kuthurne Kanu – 1998
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu – Meghasandesam – 1982
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Gorintaku (1979)
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Premabhishekam (1981)
- Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) – Meghasandesam (1982)
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award - South (2001)
- Kante Kuthurne Kanu – 1998
- Bangaru Kutumbam – 1994
- Meghasandesam – 1982
- Swargam Narakam – 1975
- Samsaram Sagaram – 1973
- Tata Manavadu – 1972
- Other Awards
- Vamsee Berkeley, Kalasagar, Siromani, Madras Film Fans Awards and Cine Herald Awards
- Jyothi Chitra Super Director Award – six times
- Ancient Andhra Patrika Best Director Award – six times
- Sobhan Babu first memorial award in 2009
- Doctorate "Kalaprapoorna" from Andhra University for his contribution to Telugu Culture and Telugu Cinema in 1986.
- Dasari Narayana Rao lashes out – Times Of India
- Newsmaker: Dasari Narayana Rao | Business Standard
- 30 June 2011 – Ranjana Dave (30 June 2011). "The meaning in movement". The Asian Age. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Dr. DasariNarayanarao Open Heart With RK Abn Andhrajyothy on YouTube
- Dasari to expose some film personalities – The Hindu
- Union Minister Dasari Narayana Rao's son kidnapped – Hindustan Times
- Telugu movie 'Tata Manavadu' will complete 40 years on Mach 23, 2013
- The Hindu Business Line : Dasari Narayana Rao portfolio changed
- Coalgate Scam: CBI files FIR accusing Naveen Jindal and Dasari Narayan Rao of fraud – Economic Times
- The Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/cbi-questions-dasari-narayana-rao-in-coal-scam-case/article5934080.ece?homepage=true
|url=missing title (help).
- NTR National Award to Dasari Narayana Rao and Raghupathi Venkaiah Award to Tammareddy Krishnamurthy for 2007