|Born||Dashiell Raymond Mihok
May 24, 1974
New York City, New York
|Education||Bronx High School of Science|
|Spouse(s)||Valeria Mason (2009–present)|
|Partner(s)||Alanis Morissette (1997–2001)|
|Relatives||Gwen Mihok (sister)
Cecily Trenka (sister)
Mihok was born in New York City, New York, the son of actors Andrea Mihok (née Cloak) and Raymond Thorne (né Mihok). He has two older sisters, Gwen Mihok, an actress, and Cecily Trenka, a science teacher. His ethnic background is Czech.
He grew up in Greenwich Village and lived in the artist community Westbeth on Bank Street. Mihok went to PS 3, a public elementary school in Manhattan, currently named the John Melser Charrette School. While attending Bronx High School of Science, where he played baseball as a middle infielder, Mihok joined CityKids Repertory, and appeared in on the short-lived TV show, CityKids. Mihok also attended the Professional Children's School in Manhattan with best friend, actor Donald Faison.
Mihok has been featured in roles in films such as The Day After Tomorrow, The Perfect Storm, The Thin Red Line, Lifted, Romeo + Juliet, and Silver Linings Playbook. He has had starring roles in independent features such as Telling You and Loveless in Los Angeles.
For Terence Malick's The Thin Red Line, Mihok said he spent an intensive six months working on the film, with the amount of footage constituting a full starring part, but during editing was reduced to an ensemble role.
He played Detective Martin Soap in the film Punisher: War Zone, which was released in December 2008.
Mihok currently co-stars as Brendan "Bunchy" Donovan in the Showtime drama, Ray Donovan. For the show the cast works out at the Santa Monica, California boxing gym Wild Card West with boxer Rob Garcia. Mihok says: "I don’t get to go often because they don’t want me to be too physically fit, but with boxing training is so hard that we get to push each other to go for it and we’re all really supportive."
Mihok directed a short film called Abby, in 2011. The film stars his sister, Gwen.
Mihok portrayed the character "Gage" in the Payday 2 web series.
Mihok was named after writer Dashiell Hammett, the author of The Thin Man, The Glass Key, and The Maltese Falcon. His last name is usually mispronounced "me-Hawk," but he says the Czech surname is pronounced "my" Hawk.
Mihok was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome (TS) at age six, and is the spokesperson for the nonprofit Jaylens Challenge, as well as an active supporter of the Tourette Syndrome Association.
Mihok said that one reason he became an actor was probably because he was experienced so well in hiding his TS, that he was acting all the time. He said the focus required of acting allows him to mask many of his tics. "Auditioning is one of the most nerve-racking things you could ever do, but you have to be so focused that you don't tic." Mihok uses Tim Howard as an example of this, saying that when the ball's on his side of the field he doesn't tic, but when it's not on his side he will tic. Mihok says the biggest misconception is that everyone with TS curses (called coprolalia) all the time, but not everyone with TS does that.
In 1997, Mihok met Alanis Morissette through friend Leonardo DiCaprio during a trip to Cuba. The lyrics to the songs "So Pure" from Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie and "That Particular Time" from Under Rug Swept are about him.
In 2009, Mihok married singer Valeria Mason.
|Romeo + Juliet||Benvolio Montague|
|1998||The Thin Red Line||Private First Class Doll|
|Felicity (TV series)||Lynn McKennon|
|2000||The Perfect Storm||Sgt. Jeremy Mitchell|
|2002||Dark Blue||Gary Sidwell|
|2002||Johnny Flynton||Johnny Flynton|
|2002||The Guru||Rusty McGee|
|2004||Connie and Carla||Mikey|
|The Day After Tomorrow||Jason Evans|
|Mojave aka Death Valley||Dom|
|Hustle (TV movie)||Paul Janszen|
|2005||Kiss Kiss Bang Bang||Mr. Frying Pan|
|2006||Hollywoodland||Det. Sgt. Jack Paterson|
|10th & Wolf||Fredy|
|2007||Firehouse Dog||Trey Falcon|
|Loveless in Los Angeles||Dave Randall|
|I Am Legend||Alpha Male|
|Punisher: War Zone||Detective Martin Soap|
|2010||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Damon Kerrigan|
|On the Inside||Carl Tarses|
|2012||Greetings from Home||Pete|
|Silver Linings Playbook||Officer Keogh|
|2013–present||Ray Donovan||Bunchy Donovan|
|2015||Gotham||Detective Arnold John Flass|
- "Mihok Dashiel - United States Public Records, 1970-2009". FamilySearch. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Johnson, Brian D. (1999). "Alanis Morissette (Profile 1999)". The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Raymond Thorne Biography (1933-)". Film Reference. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Gwen Mihok - About". Gwen Mihok. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Statewide Educator Pay 2011". LoHud. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Mohr, Ray (11 November 2013). "Mohr Stories 204: Dash Mihok". Mohr Stories. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Dashiell Mihok - United States Public Records, 1970-2009". FamilySearch. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Glance Online: February 2013". Professional Children's School. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Dash Mihok on Starring in the TV Series 'Ray Donovan'". ABC News. 12 August 2014. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Prudom, Laura (20 August 2014). "‘Masters of Sex’ and ‘Ray Donovan’ Renewed for Third Seasons at Showtime". Variety. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Marine, Brooke (25 August 2014). "Personality Complex: "Ray Donovan” Star Dash Mihok Brings New York Realness to Hollywood’s Glitz". Complex. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Schneider, Mitch; Cagan, Amanda (22 June 1999). "Alanis Morissette Celebrates Dance in Self-Directed Video for New Single "So Pure"". Mitch Schneider Organization. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Alanis Morissette – Thank U". Discogs. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Alanis Morissette – Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie". Discogs. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Sabac – Sabacolypse (A Change Gon' Come)". Discogs. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "I Have a Dream - Dash Mihok / Cenophia Mitchell / Necro / Sabac". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "A Family Portrait: Dash Mihok" (pdf). Inside TSA. Fall 2008. p. 8. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Tinker, Ben (20 September 2013). "Actor: I hid Tourette's from Hollywood". CNN. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- White, Gary (3 May 2011). "'Lifted' Premiere and Concert Benefit Lakeland Boy's Anti-Bullying Cause". The Ledger. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dash Mihok.|