DataCite is an international consortium which aims to improve data citation in order to:
- establish easier access to scientific research data on the Internet, to
- increase acceptance of research data as legitimate, citable contributions to the scientific record, and to
- support data archiving that will permit results to be verified and re-purposed for future study.
In August 2009 a paper was published laying out an approach for a global registration agency for research data. DataCite was subsequently founded in London on 1 December 2009 by organisations from 6 countries: the British Library; the Technical Information Center of Denmark (DTIC); the TU Delft Library from the Netherlands; the National Research Council’s Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (NRC-CISTI); the California Digital Library (University of California Curation Center); Purdue University (USA); and the German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB).
After the founding of DataCite, leading research libraries and information centres converged for the first official members’ convention in Paris on 5 February 2010. The inclusion of five further members was approved in the office of the International Council for Science (ICSU): Australian National Data Service (ANDS); Deutsche Zentralbibliothek für Medizin (ZB MED); GESIS - Leibniz-Institut für Sozialwissenschaften; French Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (INIST); and Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule (ETH) Zürich.
The primary means of establishing easier access to research data is by DataCite members assigning digital object identifiers (DOIs) to data sets. DataCite takes an open approach to identifiers, however, and considers other systems and services that help forward its objectives.
- Beijing Genomics Institute - BGI (Associate Member)
- Technical Information Center of Denmark
- Institut de l'information scientifique et technique - INIST-CNRS
- German National Library of Economics - ZBW
- German National Library of Medicine - ZB MED
- German National Library of Science and Technology - TIB
- Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences - GESIS
- Conference of Italian University Rectors - CRUI
- TU Delft Library
REPUBLIC OF KOREA
- Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information - KISTI (Associate Member)
- Swedish National Data Service - SND
- National Research Council of Thailand - NRCT
- The British Library - BL
- Digital Curation Centre (Associate member)
- California Digital Library - CDL
- Office of Scientific and Technical Information, US Department of Energy - OSTI
- Purdue University Libraries - PUL
- Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research - ICPSR (Associate Member)
- Microsoft Research (Associate Member)
- "Approach for a joint global registration agency for research data". doi:10.3233/ISU-2009-0595.
- "University of California becomes founding member of Datacite". Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Purdue Libraries becomes founding member of Datacite". Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "TIB becomes founding member of Datacite". Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "ANDS joins Datacite". Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Inist join Datacite consortium". Retrieved 2010-04-15.