In telecommunications, a data bank is a repository of information on one or more subjects that is organized in a way that facilitates local or remote information retrieval. A data bank may be either centralized or decentralized. In computers the data bank is the same as in telecommunication (i.e. it is the repository of data. The data in the data bank can be things such as credit card transactions or it can be any data base of a company where large quantities of queries are being processed on daily bases).
Data bank may also refer to an organization primarily concerned with the construction and maintenance of a database.
- Star Wars Databank
- Protein Data Bank
- National Trauma Data Bank
- memory bank
- International Tree-Ring Data Bank
- Hazardous Substances Data Bank
- electron microscopy data bank
- Dortmund Data Bank
- Casio Databank
- conformational dynamics data bank
- This article incorporates public domain material from the General Services Administration document "Federal Standard 1037C" (in support of MIL-STD-188).
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin, 2000.
|Look up data bank in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|This article related to telecommunications is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|