Data publishing/Data publication is a practice consisting in preparing certain data or data set(s) for public use thus to make them available to everyone to use as they wish. This practice is an integral part of the open science movement. There is a large and multidisciplinary consensus on the benefits resulting from this practice.  
However, publishers supported data publishing/publication either as an integral part of the paper or as supplemental material published jointly with the paper. These approaches are affected from a number of drawbacks from the data publication perspective including the difficulties in separating the data from the rest.
Data publishing/publication is a practice on its own:
- A number of data journals have been developed to support data publication.
- A number of repositories have been developed to support data publication, e.g. figshare, Dryad.
- Data paper
- Data sharing
- Scientific data archiving
- re3data.org - Registry of Research Data Repositories
- Costello MJ (2009). "Motivating online publication of data". BioScience 59 (5): 418–427. doi:10.1525/bio.2009.59.5.9.
- Smith VS (2009). "Data publication: towards a database of everything". BMC Research Notes 2 (113). doi:10.1186/1756-0500-2-113. PMC 2702265. PMID 19552813.
- Lawrence, B, Jones, C., Matthews, B., Pepler, S., Callaghan, S. (2011). "Citation and Peer Review of Data: Moving Towards Formal Data Publication". International Journal of Digital Curation 6 (2): 4–37. doi:10.2218/ijdc.v6i2.205.
- Callaghan, S., Donegan, S., Pepler, S., Thorley, M., Cunningham, N., Kirsch, P., Ault, L., Bell, P., Bowie, R., Leadbetter, A., Lowry, R., Moncoiffé, G., Harrison, K., Smith-Haddon, B., Weatherby, A., & Wright, D. (2012). "Making data a first class scientific output: Data citation and publication by NERCs environmental data centres". International Journal of Digital Curation 7 (1): 107–113. doi:10.2218/ijdc.v7i1.218.
- Kratz J and Strasser C (2014). "Data publication consensus and controversies". F1000Research 3 (94). doi:10.12688/f1000research.4518.