26 June 1956 |
|Alma mater||Makerere University
University of California
|Years active||1986 — present|
Government of Uganda
Daudi Migereko is the current Cabinet Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development in the Ugandan Cabinet. He was appointed to that position on 27 May 2011. He replaced Omara Atubo, who was dropped from the cabinet. Prior to that, from 16 February 2009 until 27 May 2011, he served as the Government Chief Whip in the Parliament of Uganda. Before that, he was the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development in the Cabinet of Uganda. Daudi Migereko is also the elected Member of Parliament for "Butembe County", Jinja District.
Background and education
Daudi Migereko was born on 26 June 1956 in Jinja District. He graduated from Makerere University with the degree Bachelor of Arts (BA with a concurrent Diploma in Education (Dip.Ed). His degree of Master of Arts in Transport Planning & Marketing, was obtained from the University of California, Santa Barbara, in the United States.
Between 1986 and 2001 he was the Director of Operations at Intraco Uganda Limited, a private business. During the same period,He also served as a Director on the board of FINCA, a Ugandan microfinance company. In 1996 he was elected Member of Parliament for Butembe County, Jinja District. He has been re-elected to that parliamentary seat ever since.
In 2001, Daudi Migereko served as the Deputy Director in the Office of the National Political Commissar in the Government of Uganda at that time. Between 2001 and 2005, he served as the State Minister for Energy & Minerals. In 2005, he was appointed the Minister of Trade, Tourism & Industry, where he served until 2006.
In 2006 he was appointed Minister of Energy & Minerals, a position he kept until February 16, 2009 when he was appointed Chief Whip. In he cabinet reshuffle of 27 May 2011, he was re-assigned to the Lands and Urban Development Ministry as a full Cabinet Minister.
In 2008, Daudi Migereko was appointed an honorary member of the International Hydropower Association (IHA). The IHA aims at advancing sustainable development of hydro-power projects. Migereko was recognised for his outstanding contribution to the sector nationally and Internationally.
- Mukasa, Henry (28 May 2011). "Museveni Names New Cabinet". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Kimball, Jack (17 February 2009). "Uganda's Museveni Fires Finance Minister". Reuters. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Uganda Parliament, . (2011). "Profile of Migereko Daudi, MP For Butembe County, Jinja District". Parliament of Uganda. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Okeya, Moses (13 September 2014). "Pastor’s Entry Complicates Migereko’s Political Life In Butembe". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Communications Team, . (August 2014). "Interview With Daudi Migereko, Uganda's Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development". The World Folio. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (6 July 2008). "Migereko Chosen On Global Body". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 7 December 2014.