Daughter of Jairus
The story immediately follows the exorcism at Gerasa. Jairus, a patron of the synagogue, asks Jesus to heal his dying daughter. However, according to Matthew, his daughter is already dead, not dying. As they travel to Jairus's house, a sick woman in the crowd touches Jesus' cloak and is healed of her sickness. This is called the miracle of Christ healing the bleeding woman.
Meanwhile the daughter dies, but Jesus continues to the house and brings her back to life, or in his own words, awakens her. In Mark's account, the Aramaic phrase "Talitha Koum" (transliterated into Greek as ταλιθα κουμ and meaning, "Little girl, I say to you, get up!") is attributed to Jesus.
The combined stories have been used as an example of intercalation, with one incident inserted within another, and of contrast comparing the older woman with a 12-year ailment and the 12-year-old girl. Michael Keene states that there is a link between Jairus and the woman: "The link between them is faith since both Jairus and the bleeding woman showed great faith in Jesus"
John Walvoord and Roy Zuck state that: "What appeared to be a disastrous delay in the healing of the woman actually assured the restoration of Jairus' daughter. It was providentially ordered to test and strengthen Jairus' faith." Johann Lange also states that: "This delay would serve both to try and to strengthen the faith of Jairus."
See also 
- Biblegateway Mark 5:21–43
- Biblegateway Matthew 9:18–26
- Biblegateway Luke 8:40–56
- John R. Donahue, Daniel J. Harrington 2005 The Gospel of Mark ISBN 0-8146-5965-9 page 182
- Intercalations in the synoptic tradition
- Michael Keene, 2002 St Mark's Gospel and the Christian faith ISBN 0-7487-6775-4 page 72
- John F. Walvoord, Roy B. Zuck, 1983 The Bible Knowledge Commentary ISBN 0-88207-812-7 page 124
- Johann Peter Lange, 1960 A commentary on the Holy Scriptures Zondervan Press ASIN: B00133NOEM page 174
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Resurrection of Jairus' daughter|
Daughter of Jairus
Healing the Gerasene Demonic
Miracles of Jesus
Rejection of Jesus
Ministry of Jesus