|Type||Public (KRX: 035720)|
|Founded||February 12, 1995|
|Headquarters||Seoul, South Korea|
|Key people||Lee, Jae Woong, (Founder)
Choi, Se Hoon (CEO)
|Products||Daum Cafe, Hanmail.net, Daum Search, Tistory|
|Revenue||453,388 billion won (2012)|
Daum (Korean: 다음; KRX: 035720) is a web portal in South Korea, like Naver and Nate. Daum offers many Internet services to web users, including a popular free web-based e-mail, messaging service, forums, shopping and news. The word "daum" means "next" in Korean.
The popularity of Daum is a reflection of the high level of internet use in South Korea. The country has the highest level of broadband users, and one of the most widespread levels of computer and Internet access.
The popularity of Daum stems from the range of services it offers, but also from the fact that it was the first Korean web portal of significant size. Its popularity started when it merged with the then most popular e-mail service, daum.net or hanmail.net. After the merging, Daum started the forum service Daum Cafe which brought its firm status in the market. The term cafe and even internet cafe (Different from what is supposed to refer to in Western usage) is now used as the synonym for "Internet forum" in Korean.
On August 2, 2004 Daum announced the purchase of Lycos for $95.4 million, and closed the transaction on October 6. As part of a corporate restructuring to focus on mobile, social networks and location-based serves, Daum sold Lycos for $36 million in August 2010 to Ybrant Digital, an internet marketing company based in Hyderabad, India.
The company also develops and distributes the freeware media player PotPlayer.
Daum has about 874 employees as of March, 2009.
See also 
- "Korean Daum Acquires Lycos U.S.". Lycos. 2004-10-06. Archived from the original on 2007-02-28. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- "Ybrant Digital Buys Lycos for $36 Million". Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- In 2008, Google Korea acquired 'Tatter and Company': "Google Buys South Korean Blog Company TNC". InformationWeek. 2008-10-12.
- Daum (Web portal)
- Daum Blog (Blog service)
- Daum Cafe (Community/Forum)
- Daum Calendar (Calendar)
- Hanmail (E-mail service)
- Daum Maps (Web mapping with road-view)
- Media Daum (News)
- Daum Search (Search Engine)
- tvPot (UCC service)
- Tistory (Blog service)
- Daum View (Meta-blog listing)
- About Daum - Official English Corp. Introduction
- pix korea (Multimedia GIS, road-view contents)
- intoMos (QR code, Location based service]
- Ergo Daum Direct (On-line vehicle insurance)