March 4, 1966
|Pen name||George Beard and Harold Hutchins|
|Occupation||Writer and Illustrator|
|Notable work(s)||Captain Underpants, Super Diaper Baby, The Dumb Bunnies, The Paperboy, God Bless the Gargoyles|
David "Dav" Pilkey (born March 4, 1966), is a popular American author and illustrator of children's literature. Dav Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He also uses the pen names George Beard and Harold Hutchins. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.
Dav Pilkey was born in Cleveland, Ohio to Barbara and David Pilkey, Sr. He has one older sister, Cindy. In elementary school in Elyria, Ohio, he was diagnosed with (and still suffers from) ADHD and dyslexia. Pilkey was frequently reprimanded for his behavior in class and thus usually sat at a desk in the school hallway, where he created the Captain Underpants character. Pilkey entered his first book, World War Won, in a national competition for student authors and won in his age category. The book's publication in 1987 was included in the award.
The odd spelling of his first name came from a period of employment in a Pizza Hut, when the "e" was omitted from his nametag. Even though it is spelled Dav, it is pronounced "Dave" (rhyming with "cave" and "brave").
Pilkey took a break from writing for a few years to care for his terminally ill father, but as of March 19, 2010, has signed a deal with Scholastic to release four new books. The first, a graphic novel, The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen From the Future, was released on August 10, 2010. The second, another graphic novel, which had been anticipated for 9 years, Super Diaper Baby 2: Invasion of the Potty Snatchers, was released on June 28, 2011. The third, yet another graphic novel, Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Re-turn of Tippy Tinkletrousers, was released on August 28, 2012. The final book of the four-book contract, Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers, was released on January 15, 2013.
"Considered one of the most popular contemporary authors for readers in elementary school, [Dav Pilkey] is also regarded as a talented artist and inventive humorist as well as a subtle moralist...He underscores his works—even at their most outrageous—with a philosophy that emphasizes friendship, tolerance, and generosity and celebrates the triumph of the good-hearted." – The Educational Book & Media Association
- For the animated television series based on the books, see Dragon (TV series).
- A Friend for Dragon (1991)
- Dragon Gets By (1991)
- Dragon's Fat Cat (1992)
- Dragon's Halloween (1993)
- The Dumb Bunnies (1994)
- The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (1995)
- Make Way for Dumb Bunnies (1996)
- The Dumb Bunnies Go to the Zoo (1997)
Pilkey authored the Dumb Bunnies books under the pseudonym, Sue Denim. He has stated that the series was influenced by The Stupids.
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants (1997)
- Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (1999)
- Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space (1999)
- Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (2000)
- The Captain Underpants Extra Crunchy Book O' Fun (2001)
- Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman (2001)
- The Adventures of Super Diaper Baby (2002)
- The All New Extra Crunchy Captain Underpants Book O' Fun 2 (2002)
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (2003)
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: The Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (2003)
- Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People (2006)
- The Adventures of Ook and Gluk: Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future (2010)
- Super Diaper Baby 2: The Invasion of the Potty Snatchers (2011)
- Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Re-Turn of Tippy Tinkletrousers (2012)
- Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (2013)
- Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000 (TBA)
- The Adventures of Ook and Gluk Jr.: Kung-Fu Cavekids in Outer Space (TBA)
Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot (2000)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitos from Mercury (2000)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Voodoo Vultures from Venus (2001)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha Monkeys from Mars (2002)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Jurassic Jackrabbits from Jupiter (2002)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Stupid Stinkbugs from Saturn (2003)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Uranium Unicorns from Uranus (2005)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot Astro-Activity Book o' Fun (2006)
Big Dog & Little Dog
- Big Dog and Little Dog (1997)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Going for a Walk (1997)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Getting in Trouble (1997)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Wearing Sweaters (1998)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Making a Mistake (1999)
- The Complete Adventures of Big Dog and Little Dog (1999)
- When Cats Dream
- Moonglow Roll-O-Rama
- The Hallo-Wiener
- Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving
- God Bless the Gargoyles
- Kat Kong
- Dog Breath!: The Horrible Trouble With Hally Tosis
- Silly Gooses
- The Paperboy
- World War Won
- 1986: The National Written and Illustrated by... Awards Contest for Students, ages 14–19 category, World War Won
- 1997: Caldecott Honor Award, The Paperboy
- 1998: California Young Reader Medal, Dog Breath!: The Horrible Trouble with Hally Tosis, published in 1994
- 2007: Disney Adventures Kids' Choice Awards, The Captain Underpants series
- "Dav Pilkey". Ohio Authors Online. Ohio Center for the Book at Cleveland Public Library. 2003. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Nissen, Beth (2000-07-11). "Captain Underpants: The straight poop on a grossly entertaining series of children's books". CNN. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "Super Humor: Tales of an 'Under' Achiever". Washington Post. 2002-07-03. p. C18.
- ThunderX19 (January 17, 2013). "Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo-Toilet 2000 Teaser". YouTube. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "The National Written & Illustrated by... Awards Contest for Students Winners". Landmark Editions. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Association for Library Service to Children. "Caldecott Medal Winners and Honor Books, 1938–Present". American Library Association. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Pilkey, Dav (2000-07-11). Transcript of e-mail interview with Dav Pilkey, author, 'Captain Underpants' series. Interview with Beth Nissen. CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2000/books/news/07/11/captain.underpants/transcript.html.
- Pilkey, Dav (2001-08-27). A Hero In Briefs. with Andrea Sachs. Time. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1000654,00.html.
- Pilkey, Dav (2003-09-20). The Man Behind Captain Underpants. Interview with Jennifer Ludden. All Things Considered. National Public Radio. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1437841.
- Book Review of Dog Breath (book review on www.launchpadmag.com)