|David Pilkey, Jr.|
March 4, 1966 |
|Pen name||George Beard
|Occupation||Writer and illustrator|
David "Dav" Pilkey, Jr. (born March 4, 1966) is a popular American author and illustrator of children's literature. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He also uses the pen names George Beard and Harold Hutchins which are the names of two of the main characters in the aforementioned series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.
Pilkey was born in Cleveland, Ohio, to David Sr and Barbara Pilkey. He has one older sister, Cindy. In elementary school in Elyria, Ohio, he was diagnosed with (and still suffers from) ADHD and dyslexia. Pilkey was frequently reprimanded for his behavior in class and thus usually sat at a desk in the school hallway, where he created the Captain Underpants character. Pilkey entered his first book, World War Won, in a national competition for student authors and won in his age category. The book's publication in 1987 was included in the award.
The atypical spelling of his first name came from a period of employment in a Pizza Hut, when the "e" was omitted from his nametag. Even though it is spelled Dav, it is pronounced "Dave" (rhyming with "cave" and "brave").
Pilkey took a break from writing for a few years to care for his terminally ill father (who died November 13, 2008), but in 2010 agreed with Scholastic to publish four new books. The first three are graphic novels: The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen From the Future, released on August 10, 2010; Super Diaper Baby 2: Invasion of the Potty Snatchers, released on June 28, 2011; and Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Re-turn of Tippy Tinkletrousers, released on August 28, 2012. The tenth book, Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers, was released on January 15, 2013.
- For the animated television series based on the books, see Dragon (TV series).
- A Friend for Dragon (1991)
- Dragon Gets By (1991)
- Dragon's Fat Cat (1992)
- Dragon's Halloween (1993)
- Dragon's Merry Christmas (1994)
- The Dumb Bunnies (1994)
- The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (1995)
- Make Way for Dumb Bunnies (1996)
- The Dumb Bunnies Go to the Zoo (1997)
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants (1997)
- Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (1999)
- Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space (1999)
- Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (2000)
- The Captain Underpants Extra-Crunchy Book o' Fun (2001)
- Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman (2001)
- The All New Extra Crunchy Captain Underpants Book O' Fun 2 (2002)
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (2003)
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: The Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (2003)
- Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People (2006)
- Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Re-Turn of Tippy Tinkletrousers (2012)
- Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (2013)
- Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000 (August 2014)
- Captain Underpants and the Sensational Saga of Sir Stinks-A-Lot (August 2015)
Captain Underpants spin-off graphic novels
- The Adventures of Super Diaper Baby (2002)
- The Adventures of Ook and Gluk: Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future (2010)
- Super Diaper Baby 2: The Invasion of the Potty Snatchers (2011 )
- Kung-Fu Cavekids in Outer Space (TBA)
- Dog Man World's Greatest Cop (TBA)
Pilkey authored these books under the pseudonym, Harold Hutchins and George Beard.
Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot (2000)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitos from Mercury (2000)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Voodoo Vultures from Venus (2001)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha Monkeys from Mars (2002)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Jurassic Jackrabbits from Jupiter (2002)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Stupid Stinkbugs from Saturn (2003)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Uranium Unicorns from Uranus (2005)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot Astro-Activity Book o' Fun (2006)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Naughty Night Crawlers from Neptune (August 2014)
- Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Un-Pleasant Penguins from Pluto (January 2015)
Big Dog & Little Dog
- Big Dog and Little Dog (1997)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Going for a Walk (1997)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Getting in Trouble (1997)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Wearing Sweaters (1998)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Making a Mistake (1999)
- The Complete Adventures of Big Dog and Little Dog (1999)
- World War Won (1987)
- Don't Pop Your Cork on Mondays (1988) Illustrator only
- 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving (1990)
- Julius (1993) Illustrator only
- Kat Kong (1993)
- Dogzilla (1993)
- Dog Breath!: The Horrible Trouble With Hally Tosis (Oct. 1, 1994)
- The Moonglow Roll-O-Rama (1995)
- The Hallo-Wiener (1995)
- When Cats Dream (1996)
- God Bless the Gargoyles (1996)
- The Paperboy (1996)
- The Silly Gooses (1998)
- 1986: The National Written and Illustrated by... Awards Contest for Students, ages 14–19 category, World War Won
- 1997: Caldecott Honor Award, The Paperboy
- 1998: California Young Reader Medal, Dog Breath!: The Horrible Trouble with Hally Tosis, published in 1994
- 2007: Disney Adventures Kids' Choice Awards, The Captain Underpants series
- "Dav Pilkey". Ohio Authors Online. Ohio Center for the Book at Cleveland Public Library. 2003. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Nissen, Beth (2000-07-11). "Captain Underpants: The straight poop on a grossly entertaining series of children's books". CNN. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "Super Humor: Tales of an 'Under' Achiever". Washington Post. 2002-07-03. p. C18.
- Pilkey, Dav. "Four New Books".
- ThunderX19 (January 17, 2013). "Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo-Toilet 2000 Teaser". YouTube. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "The National Written & Illustrated by... Awards Contest for Students Winners". Landmark Editions. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Association for Library Service to Children. "Caldecott Medal Winners and Honor Books, 1938–Present". American Library Association. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Official website
- Dav Pilkey at Library of Congress Authorities, with 62 catalog records
- Denim n93050039 at Library of Congress Authorities, with 4 catalog records (Dumb Bunnies, 1994 to 1997)
- Beard, George (fictitious character) at LC Authorities – not a Pilkey pseudonym
- Hutchins, Harold (fictitious character) at LC Authorities – not a Pilkey pseudonym
- Transcript of e-mail interview with Dav Pilkey, author, 'Captain Underpants' series. Interview with Beth Nissen. July 11, 2000. CNN.
- A Hero In Briefs. Interview with Andrea Sachs. August 27, 2001. Time.
- The Man Behind Captain Underpants. Interview with Jennifer Ludden. September 20, 2003. All Things Considered. National Public Radio.