||This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
Dave's Gourmet is a company notable for creating and introducing Dave's Insanity Sauce, which formerly held the title of "world's hottest sauce." The sauce is widely distributed through gourmet hot sauce boutiques and online hot-sauce sites.
The original Dave's Insanity Sauce premiered around 1993 and was one of the first sauces to be made directly from capsaicin extract, allowing it to be hotter than the hottest habanero-pepper sauces of the day. It has been rated at 180,000 Scoville units,[note 1] compared with 2,500-5,000 for Tabasco sauce. Part of the intrigue behind the sauce name (Insanity) was founder Dave Hirschkop’s wearing of a straitjacket at events promoting his products.
Dave's Gourmet has since introduced sauces with increasingly greater concentrations of capsaicin under names such as Dave's Commemorative Insanity, Dave's Total Insanity, and Dave's Ultimate Insanity, which has been reported variously as from 90,000 to 250,000 on the Scoville scale and comes with a caveat Use this product one drop at a time." Keep away from eyes, children and pets. Not for people with heart or respiratory problems. Also offered is Dave's Private Reserve which comes in a coffin-shaped package and has been reported variously as from 500,000 to 750,000 Scoville units. His most recent release is a super-limited holiday edition, which is two to three times as hot as his private reserve, and was limited to 200 bottles total, selling for $199 per bottle.
The following varieties of Dave's Gourmet sauces are currently available:
Standard Sauces 
- Cool Cayenne Sauce
- Ginger Peach Hot Sauce
- Hurtin' Jalapeño Sauce
- Hurtin' Habanero Sauce
- Jammin' Jerk Sauce
- Roasted Garlic Hot Sauce
- Roasted Red Pepper & Chipotle Hot Sauce
- Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
- Temporary Insanity Sauce
- Insanity Sauce
- Total Insanity Sauce
- Ultimate Insanity Sauce
- Ghost Pepper Jolokia Sauce
- Reported Scoville unit values for sauces vary widely, either as a result of imprecision in the test itself or natural product variation. As a result, Dave's Gourmet does not assign Scoville ratings to its sauces - any ratings in this article are approximate and unofficial.
- "About Us". Dave's Gourmet, Inc. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- Official website
- Help, quick – I’ve unscrewed the top on a ticking bomb – Jeremy Clarkson's review of Insanity Sauce