David Branch (fighter)
|Born||September 26, 1981 (age 33)|
|Residence||Bronx, New York|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||185.8 lb (84.3 kg; 13.27 st)|
|Reach||76 in (190 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Brooklyn, New York|
|Team||Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu|
|Rank||black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts career
Branch began training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under the tutelage of MMA veteran, Renzo Gracie. He gained his black belt after learning from Gracie for about 10 years. Branch turned professional in MMA in 2007. In additional to mixed martial arts, Branch has also competed in (and won) Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu titles in nationwide competitions.
Bellator Fighting Championship
Branch then signed for Bellator Fighting Championships and made his promotional debut at Bellator 11 against Dennis Olson. Branch was victorious due to submission (rear naked choke) at 1:27 of the first round.
Branch then competed in the UCC organization and defeated John Troyer via TKO (punches) at 4:26 of the second round.
Branch returned to Bellator at Bellator 15 and defeated Derrick Mehman via submission (rear naked choke) at 0:26 of the second round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In May 2010, Branch's coach Renzo Gracie announced that Branch had signed a four-fight contract with the UFC. Branch made his debut on the undercard of UFC 116 against Gerald Harris. Branch was knocked out cold with a slam in the third round, losing for the first time in his professional career.
Branch was expected to face Aaron Simpson on September 15, 2010 at UFC Fight Night 22, but Simpson was forced to pull out of the bout with a staph infection. Branch instead fought Tomasz Drwal. Branch won the fight via unanimous decision, earning his first UFC victory.
Branch next defeated Rich Attonito at The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck Finale via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
Branch next faced Rousimar Palhares on March 3, 2011 at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann, replacing Alexandre Ferreira. Branch was defeated by Palhares when he tapped out to a kneebar early in the second round and was subsequently released from the promotion.
Following his release from the UFC Branch signed to fight Jeremy May at Shark Fights 15: Villaseñor vs Camozzi. He won via tko in the third round.
Branch next faced of against Strikeforce vet Dominique Steele at Pure MMA - The Beginning. He won via unanimous decision.
In his next fight Branch took on former UFC vet Anthony Johnson at Titan Fighting Championships 22. The bout was originally suppose to be fought at 185lbs, but both fighters came in overweight an the bout was changed to 195 lb catchweight fight. He lost via unanimous decision.
World Series of Fighting
On May 16, 2013, WSOF announced a 4 man tournament to crown an Inaugural Middleweight Champion. Branch will be one of the four men entering this tournament. Joining Branch will be former UFC vet Jesse Taylor, current MFC middleweight champion Elvis Mutapcic, & former UFC vet Danillo Villefort. Branch took on Danillo Villefort in the open round of the tournament at WSOF 5.  He won the fight via unanimous decision.
In the middleweight tournament final, Branch faced Jesse Taylor at World Series of Fighting 10 on June 21, 2014. He won the fight via D'arce choke submission in the first round to become the inaugural World Series of Fighting Middleweight champion.
On March 5, 2015, it was announced that a semifinal fight of the WSOF Light Heavyweight Championship tournament between Matt Hamill and Vinny Magalhães was canceled and then changed to a fight between WSOF Middleweight Championship David Branch and Ronny Markes for the second semifinal fight of the WSOF Light Heavyweight Championship tournament at the WSOF 20 on April 10, 2015.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||15 wins||3 losses|
|15–3||Ronny Markes||WSOF 20||April 10, 2015||Ledyard, Connecticut, United States||WSOF Light Heavyweight Championship tournament Semifinal.|
|Win||15–3||Yushin Okami||TKO (punches)||WSOF 15||November 15, 2014||4||3:39||Tampa, Florida, United States||Defended the WSOF Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||14–3||Jesse Taylor||Submission (D'arce choke)||WSOF 10||June 21, 2014||1||1:41||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won the WSOF Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||13–3||Danillo Villefort||Decision (unanimous)||WSOF 5||September 14, 2013||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||WSOF Middleweight Championship tournament Semifinal.|
|Win||12–3||Paulo Filho||Decision (unanimous)||WSOF 2||March 23, 2013||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||11–3||Dustin Jacoby||Decision (unanimous)||WSOF 1||November 3, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||WSOF debut.|
|Loss||10–3||Anthony Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||Titan FC 22||May 25, 2012||3||5:00||Kansas City, Kansas, United States||195 lb catchweight.|
|Win||10–2||Dominique Steele||Decision (unanimous)||Pure MMA - The Beginning||January 22, 2012||3||5:00||Plains, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||9–2||Jeremy May||TKO (punches)||Shark Fights 15: Villaseñor vs. Camozzi||May 27, 2011||3||3:19||Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||8–2||Rousimar Palhares||Submission (kneebar)||UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2011||2||1:44||Louisville, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||8–1||Rich Attonito||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–1||Tomasz Drwal||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Marquardt vs. Palhares||September 15, 2010||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Loss||6–1||Gerald Harris||KO (slam)||UFC 116||July 3, 2010||3||2:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||UFC debut.|
|Win||6–0||Derrick Mehmen||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 15||April 22, 2010||2||0:26||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States||190 lb catchweight.|
|Win||5–0||John Troyer||TKO (punches)||UCC 1 - Merciless||March 19, 2010||2||4:26||Jersey City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||4–0||Dennis Olsen||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 11||June 12, 2009||1||2:27||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||3–0||Robby Huston||Submission (rear-naked choke)||DCF - Battle at the Nation's Capital||December 13, 2008||2||2:41||Washington D.C., United States|
|Win||2–0||Alex Aquino||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Ring of Combat 19||May 9, 2008||1||3:29||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–0||Craig Simone||TKO (punches)||Cage Fights 6||September 29, 2007||1||1:44||Fort Myers, Florida, United States|
- "Renzo Gracie: UFC signs Bellator middleweight David Branch to four-fight deal". MMAjunkie.com. 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- "UFC 116 preliminary card recap: Brendan Schaub, Gerald Harris dazzle in KO wins". mmajunkie.com. July 4, 2010.
- "Aaron Simpson hospitalized after surgery". mmaweekly.com. August 6, 2010.
- "Tomasz Drwal vs. David Branch expected at UFC Fight Night 22". mmajunkie.com. August 9, 2010.
- "David Branch vs. Rich Attonito set for The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Dan Miller vs. David Branch in the works for UFC 128". TrueFighting.com.com. 2010-12-30.
- "David Branch Replaces Ferreira, Faces Palhares At UFC on Versus 3". heavy.com. January 19, 2011.
- "Middleweight David Branch Latest Fighter Released by the UFC". mmaweekly.com. March 23, 2011.
- Damon Martin (March 23, 2012). "Anthony Johnson vs. David Branch Set as Main Event for Titan Fighting 22". MMAWeekly.com.
- Dann Stupp (May 26, 2012). "Anthony Johnson tops David Branch in Titan Fighting 22 headliner". MMAJunkie.com.
- "WSOF 1 - Arlovski vs. Cole Results". Sherdog.com. November 3, 2012.
- "WSOF 2 - Arlovski vs. Johnson Results". Sherdog.com. March 23, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (May 16, 2013). "WSOF sets four-man middleweight tourney with Taylor, Mutapcic, Branch, Villefort". MMAJunkie.com.
- "World Series of Fighting 5 to host opening round of middleweight tournament".
- "David Branch defends middleweight belt vs. Yushin Okami at WSOF 15". mmajunkie.com. July 29, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "David Branch and Ronny Markes Light Heavyweight Tilt to Headline WSOF 20".
- "Straight Outta Brownsville - Introducing David Branch". UFC.com. June 29, 2010.