Dave Campbell's Texas Football
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
The 2008 summer edition of Dave Campbell's Texas Football
It is unique in that it is the only publication to preview every team in Texas (to the extent information is available), from the NFL's Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans, through every level of college football, to the roughly 1,400 high schools (public and private) in the state that field football teams.
The publication is issued in early summer, about 1-2 months before the start of preseason football. It sells for US$9.95 and is available in most Texas stores which sell magazines.
The magazine was started in 1960 by Dave Campbell who was the longtime writer and editor for the Waco Tribune-Herald. He published the magazine out of his kitchen. On the cover of the inaugural edition was Texas Longhorns' running back Jackie Collins. The cover price was fifty cents.
Since then, it has become one of the best-selling football magazines in the state and has been dubbed "The Bible of Texas Football". Each year, its release is widely anticipated and the identity of the cover boy is a tightly-guarded secret. At the age of 82, Mr. Campbell still holds the position of Editor-in-Chief.
Currently, Dave Campbell's Texas Football is a twice-a-year statewide magazine with over 400,000 readers. To accompany the print version, a web site, www.texasfootball.com, was created in 1999 and covers all levels of football in Texas--High School, College, and the NFL. In the summer of 2009, IMG and Dave Campbell's Texas Football announced a new statewide radio program, known as the Dave Campbell's Texas Football Radio Hour. This program can be heard weekly across the state. In the summer of 2010, DCTF started its own television program, Texas Football Game Day, a State Farm-sponsored half-hour variety show. Game Day was filmed weekly at the stadium of a key game and broadcast (sometimes live, sometime tape delayed) on Fox Sports Southwest.
The overall brand is run by General Manager, Adam Hochfelder, and the magazine and website is run by managing editor Travis Stewart.
Summer Book Covers 
- 1960: Jackie Collins of Texas
- 1961: Ronnie Bull of Baylor (also pictured: Lance Alworth of Arkansas and James Saxton of Texas)
- 1962: Sonny Gibbs of TCU
- 1963: Coach Darrell Royal and Scott Appleton of Texas
- 1964: Lawrence Elkins and John Bridgers of Baylor
- 1965: Donny Anderson of Texas Tech
- 1966: John LaGrone of SMU (also pictured: Greg Pipes of Baylor and Diron Talbert of Texas)
- 1967: Maurice Moorman of Texas A&M
- 1968: Edd Hargett of Texas A&M
- 1969: James Street of Texas
- 1970: Steve Worster of Texas
- 1971: Charles Napper of Texas Tech
- 1972: Brad Dusek of Texas A&M
- 1973: Glen Gaspard of Texas
- 1974: Coach Darrell Royal of Texas
- 1975: Coach Grant Teaff of Baylor
- 1976: Coach Bill Yeoman of Houston
- 1977: Rodney Allison of Texas Tech
- 1978: Russell Erxleben of Texas and Tony Franklin of Texas A&M
- 1979: Steve McMichael of Texas
- 1980: Mike Singletary of Baylor and Mike Mosley of Texas A&M
- 1981: Craig James of SMU and Walter Abercrombie of Baylor
- 1982: Gary Kubiak of Texas A&M
- 1983: Lance McIlhenny of SMU
- 1984: Ray Childress of Texas A&M
- 1985: Coach Jim Wacker and Kenneth Davis of TCU
- 1986: Coach Jackie Sherrill of Texas A&M
- 1987: Coach David McWilliams and Bret Stafford of Texas
- 1988: Eric Metcalf of Texas and John Roper of Texas A&M
- 1989: Coach Jack Pardee of Houston and Coach Forrest Gregg of SMU
- 1990: Coach Spike Dykes of Texas Tech
- 1991: David Klingler of Houston
- 1992: Trevor Cobb of Rice
- 1993: Coach R. C. Slocum of Texas A&M (also pictured: Jerrod Douglas of Converse Judson High School)
- 1994: Shea Morenz of Texas (also pictured: Tony Brackens of Texas)
- 1995: The cover was a collage featuring many important figures in Southwest Conference history, including: Earl Campbell, Bill Yeoman, Darrell Royal, Fred Akers, Sammy Baugh, Mike Singletary and Doak Walker. It was illustrated by Michael J. Taylor.
- 1996: Coach Chuck Reedy of Baylor, Coach John Mackovic of Texas, Coach R. C. Slocum of Texas A&M and Coach Spike Dykes of Texas Tech
- 1997: James Brown and Ricky Williams of Texas (also pictured: Coach Kim Helton of Houston)
- 1998: Two different covers: one featuring Coach Mack Brown and Ricky Williams of Texas; the other featuring Dat Nguyen of Texas A&M
- 1999: Coach Mack Brown of Texas, Coach Dennis Franchione of TCU (an alternative cover was made in 1999 for copies that were sold outside the state of Texas. It featured Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys.)
- 2000: Cedric Benson of Midland's Robert E. Lee High School
- 2001: Casey Printers of TCU, Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech, Chris Simms of Texas and Mark Farris of Texas A&M
- 2002: Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech, Coach G.A. Moore of Celina High School, Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys and Drew Tate of Baytown's Lee High School
- 2003: Roy Williams of Texas
- 2004: Adell Duckett of Texas Tech, Patrick Cobbs of North Texas, Marvin Godbolt of TCU and Kevin Kolb of Houston
- 2005: Vince Young of Texas and Reggie McNeal of Texas A&M
- 2006: Earl Campbell of Texas, John Chiles of Mansfield's Summit High School, Ryan Mallett of Texarkana's Texas High School, Jarrett Lee of Brenham High School and G.J. Kinne of Gilmer High School
- 2007: Tommy Blake of TCU, Colt McCoy of Texas and Stephen McGee of Texas A&M
- 2008: Mike Leach, Michael Crabtree, and Graham Harrell of Texas Tech
- 2009: Colt McCoy of Texas
- 2010: Jerrod Johnson of Texas A&M, Case Keenum of Houston and Andy Dalton of TCU
- 2011: Cyrus Gray of Texas A&M and Johnathan Gray of Aledo High School
- 2012: Gary Patterson of TCU
Winter Book 
When the University of Texas won the Rose Bowl in January 2006, Texas Football put out a special championship-edition of the magazine. Two years later, the magazine brought back the winter edition as a permanent feature.
Winter Book Covers 
- 2006: Vince Young of Texas
- 2008: Coach Mike Sherman of Texas A&M
- 2009: Quan Cosby of Texas, Michael Crabtree of Texas Tech, and Chase Clement of Rice.
- 2010: Jordan Shipley of Texas and Jerry Hughes of TCU
- 2011: Gary Patterson of TCU
- 2012: Robert Griffin of Baylor
Mr. Texas Football 
When Texas football revived the winter book after the 2007 season, they started naming a "Mr. Texas Football". This has since been renamed the Gridiron Legends High School Player of the Year award.
- 2007: Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated
- 2008: Garrett Gilbert, QB, Austin Lake Travis
- 2009: Darian "Stump" Godfrey, QB, Gilmer
- 2010: Johnny Manziel, QB, Kerrville Tivy
- 2011: Johnathan Gray, RB, Aledo
- "Dave Campbell still has hand in popular state football preview".
- "Longhorns' Benson chasing RB legacies".
- "Texas Football magazine hits newsstands next week".
- "Texas Football Coming Soon".
- "2007 Dave Campbell's Texas Football hits the shelves starting today" (Press release).
- "Campbell picks Cove to win District 12-5A". Killeen Daily Herald. 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Williams, Don (2009-01-26). "Tech, Tigers get share of magazine spotlight". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. Retrieved 2009-01-26.