Dave Campbell's Texas Football
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
The 2008 summer edition of Dave Campbell's Texas Football
|Company||High Field Marketing
(Sports in Action)
The summer magazine is issued in June, about 1-2 months before the start of preseason football. It sells for $10.95 and is available in most Texas stores which sell magazines. A winter edition, which began in 2008, is published each January.
The magazine was started in 1960 by Dave Campbell, a longtime writer and sports editor for the Waco Tribune-Herald, along with fellow Waco sportswriters Hollis Biddle, Jim Montgomery, and Al Ward. He published the magazine out of his kitchen. On the cover of the inaugural edition was Texas Longhorns running back Jackie Collins. The cover price for the 96-page magazine was fifty cents.
It was bought in 1985 by Host Communications, which was bought by IMG in 2007. In 2014, Sports in Action, a company operated by the family of Texas businessman Drayton McLane bought the rights to operate the magazine from IMG.
It is one of the best-selling football magazines in the state and has been dubbed "The Bible of Texas Football". Each year, the identity of its cover subject(s) is a tightly-guarded secret. At the age of 82, Campbell still holds the position of editor-in-chief.
Currently, Dave Campbell's Texas Football is a twice-yearly statewide magazine with over 400,000 readers.
To accompany the print version, a website, www.texasfootball.com, was created in 1999. In summer 2009, Texas Football announced a new statewide weekly radio program, known as the Dave Campbell's Texas Football Radio Hour. In 2010, the magazine started its own television program, Texas Football Game Day, a half-hour variety show. Game Day was filmed weekly at the stadium of a key game and broadcast (sometimes live, sometime tape delayed) on Fox Sports Southwest.
The overall brand is run by general manager Adam Hochfelder, and the magazine and website are run by managing editor Greg Tepper and associate editors Courtney Madden and EJ Holland.
Summer magazine covers
- 1960: Jackie Collins of Texas
- 1961: Ronnie Bull of Baylor (also pictured: Lance Alworth, Arkansas and James Saxton, Texas)
- 1962: Sonny Gibbs of TCU
- 1963: Coach Darrell Royal and Scott Appleton of Texas
- 1964: Lawrence Elkins and John Bridgers of Baylor
- 1965: Donny Anderson of Texas Tech
- 1966: John LaGrone of SMU (also pictured: Greg Pipes, Baylor and Diron Talbert, Texas)
- 1967: Maurice Moorman of Texas A&M
- 1968: Edd Hargett of Texas A&M
- 1969: James Street of Texas
- 1970: Steve Worster of Texas
- 1971: Charles Napper of Texas Tech
- 1972: Brad Dusek of Texas A&M
- 1973: Glen Gaspard of Texas
- 1974: Coach Darrell Royal of Texas
- 1975: Coach Grant Teaff of Baylor
- 1976: Coach Bill Yeoman of Houston
- 1977: Rodney Allison of Texas Tech
- 1978: Russell Erxleben of Texas and Tony Franklin of Texas A&M
- 1979: Steve McMichael of Texas
- 1980: Mike Singletary of Baylor and Mike Mosley of Texas A&M
- 1981: Craig James of SMU and Walter Abercrombie of Baylor
- 1982: Gary Kubiak of Texas A&M
- 1983: Lance McIlhenny of SMU
- 1984: Ray Childress of Texas A&M
- 1985: Coach Jim Wacker and Kenneth Davis of TCU
- 1986: Coach Jackie Sherrill of Texas A&M
- 1987: Coach David McWilliams and Bret Stafford of Texas
- 1988: Eric Metcalf of Texas and John Roper of Texas A&M
- 1989: Coach Jack Pardee of Houston and Coach Forrest Gregg of SMU
- 1990: Coach Spike Dykes of Texas Tech
- 1991: David Klingler of Houston
- 1992: Trevor Cobb of Rice
- 1993: Coach R. C. Slocum of Texas A&M (also pictured: Jerrod Douglas of Converse Judson)
- 1994: Shea Morenz of Texas (also pictured: Tony Brackens of Texas)
- 1995: A collage featuring important figures in Southwest Conference history, including Earl Campbell, Bill Yeoman, Darrell Royal, Fred Akers, Sammy Baugh, Mike Singletary, and Doak Walker.
- 1996: Coach Chuck Reedy of Baylor, Coach John Mackovic of Texas, Coach R. C. Slocum of Texas A&M and Coach Spike Dykes of Texas Tech
- 1997: James Brown and Ricky Williams of Texas (also pictured: Coach Kim Helton of Houston)
- 1998: Two covers: one with Coach Mack Brown and Ricky Williams of Texas, the other with Dat Nguyen of Texas A&M
- 1999: Coach Mack Brown of Texas, Coach Dennis Franchione of TCU
- 1999 (alternative cover): Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys, for sale outside the state of Texas
- 2000: Cedric Benson of Midland Lee
- 2001: Casey Printers of TCU, Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech, Chris Simms of Texas and Mark Farris of Texas A&M
- 2002: Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech, Coach G.A. Moore of Celina High School, Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys, and Drew Tate of Baytown Lee
- 2003: Roy Williams of Texas
- 2004: Adell Duckett of Texas Tech, Patrick Cobbs of North Texas, Marvin Godbolt of TCU and Kevin Kolb of Houston
- 2005: Vince Young of Texas and Reggie McNeal of Texas A&M
- 2006: Earl Campbell of Texas, John Chiles of Mansfield Summit, Ryan Mallett of Texarkana Texas, Jarrett Lee of Brenham, and G.J. Kinne of Gilmer
- 2007: Tommy Blake of TCU, Colt McCoy of Texas, and Stephen McGee of Texas A&M
- 2008: Coach Mike Leach, Michael Crabtree, and Graham Harrell of Texas Tech
- 2009: Colt McCoy of Texas
- 2010: Jerrod Johnson of Texas A&M, Case Keenum of Houston, and Andy Dalton of TCU
- 2011: Cyrus Gray of Texas A&M and Johnathan Gray of Aledo
- 2012: Coach Gary Patterson of TCU
- 2013: Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M
- 2014: Coach Art Briles, Bryce Petty, and Antwan Goodley of Baylor
Winter magazine covers
When the University of Texas won the BCS national title in the 2006 Rose Bowl, Texas Football put out a special championship edition of the magazine. Two years later, the magazine brought back the winter edition as a permanent feature.
- 2006: Vince Young of Texas
- 2008: Coach Mike Sherman of Texas A&M
- 2009: Quan Cosby of Texas, Michael Crabtree of Texas Tech, and Chase Clement of Rice
- 2010: Jordan Shipley of Texas and Jerry Hughes of TCU
- 2011: Coach Gary Patterson of TCU
- 2012: Robert Griffin III of Baylor
- 2013: Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M
- 2014: Bryce Petty of Baylor
- 2015: Trevone Boykin of TCU, Kyler Murray of Allen, and Tony Romo of the Dallas Cowboys
Mr. Texas Football
When Texas Football revived the winter book after the 2007 season, it began giving a "Mr. Texas Football" honoring the top high school player in the state. It has since been renamed the Gridiron Legends High School Player of the Year Award, which is presented by Cavenders Boot City and Wranger Jeans.
- 2007: Jacquizz Rodgers, Rosenberg Lamar
- 2008: Garrett Gilbert, Lake Travis
- 2009: Darian "Stump" Godfrey, Gilmer
- 2010: Johnny Manziel, Kerrville Tivy
- 2011: Johnathan Gray, Aledo
- 2012: Dontre Wilson, DeSoto
- 2013: Kyler Murray, Allen
- 2014: Kyler Murray, Allen
- "Dave Campbell still has hand in popular state football preview".
- "Longhorns' Benson chasing RB legacies".
- "Texas Football magazine hits newsstands next week".
- "Texas Football Coming Soon".
- "2007 Dave Campbell's Texas Football hits the shelves starting today" (Press release).
- "Campbell picks Cove to win District 12-5A". Killeen Daily Herald. 17 June 2008. Retrieved 20 June 2008.
- Williams, Don (26 January 2009). "Tech, Tigers get share of magazine spotlight". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. Retrieved 26 January 2009.