|Born||Pictou County, Nova Scotia|
|Genres||Folk music, Celtic|
|Labels||Wee House of Music Co.|
Dave Gunning is a Canadian Folk/Celtic singer-songwriter born in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. Gunning credits the first live concert he ever observed, a 1981 double bill of John Allan Cameron and Stan Rogers, to be a major driving force in shaping the direction his life would take as a musician.
|“||That show changed my life. I would not be writing and playing folk music if not for seeing that concert and every other John Allan performance in Pictou County.||”|
He is known for the incorporation of story telling into his live show. In particular, Gunning relates anecdotes of notable characters from Pictou County and performs impressions of musicians that he has worked with over the years.
The track "A Game Goin' On" from Gunning's album No More Pennies was submitted to the Great Canadian Song Quest (2013 edition: Hockey Night In Canada Song Quest). The song was named as a top 10 finalist of the contest. On January 1, 2014, during the NHL Winter Classic "A Game Goin' On" was announced as the winner.
- Lost Tracks (1996)
- Caught Between Shadows (2000)
- Live (2002)
- Two-Bit World (2004)
- Christmas (2006)
- House For Sale (2007)
- We're All Leaving (2009)
- ...a tribute to John Allan Cameron (2010)
- Christmas Too (2011)
- No More Pennies (2012)
Awards and nominations
- 2014 Solo Recording of the Year - Winner (No More Pennies)
- 2014 Songwriter of the Year - Winner (These Hands from No More Pennies)
- 2013 Song of the Year - Winner (These Hands from No More Pennies)
- 2011 Roots Traditional Solo Recording of the Year - Winner (...a tribute to John Allan Cameron)
- 2011 Producer of the Year - Winner (...a tribute to John Allan Cameron)
- 2008 Male Solo Recording of the Year - Winner (House For Sale)
- 2008 Folk Recording of the Year - Winner (House For Sale)
- 2005 Folk Recording of the Year - Winner (Two-Bit World)
- 2012 Roots & Traditional Album of the Year: Solo - Nomination (...a tribute to John Allan Cameron)
- 2011 Traditional Singer of the Year - Winner (...a tribute to John Allan Cameron)
- 2011 Best New/Emerging Artist of the Year - Winner
- Dave Gunning, "Biography", Maple Music.  Access date: April 15, 2012.
- "Stories, a serenade and slow dance at Club Saw". Ottawa Citizen.
- "Dave Gunning advances in CBC Song Quest". The News - New Glasgow Newspaper.
- "Dave Gunning Wins CBC's Hockey Night In Canada Song Quest". CBC News. January 1, 2014.
|This article about a Canadian musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|