Dave Herman (fighter)
|Born||David J. Herman
October 3, 1984
Columbia City, Indiana, United States
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight||244 lb (111 kg; 17 st 6 lb)|
|Division||Heavyweight (265 lb)|
|Reach||77 in (196 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Temecula, CA|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
David John Herman (born October 3, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Herman received a significant amount of buzz from fans and media for being undefeated in his first fifteen fights and beating his opponents impressively, having only been to a decision once in 26 professional fights.
Mixed martial arts career
Following a 2–0 amateur career, Herman made his professional mixed martial arts debut on December 31, 2006. He quickly amassed an undefeated 11–0 record, fighting 10 times throughout 2007.
In 2008, Herman signed with the now defunct EliteXC organization. He debuted on the undercard of EliteXC: Street Certified, defeating Mario Rinaldi via TKO. His second bout came at EliteXC: Return of the King, where he defeated Ron Waterman via TKO. He next faced Kerry Schall in the main event of ShoXC 9, which would ultimately be the final show by the company.
Following the dissolution of EliteXC, Herman fought for a variety of promotions including Bellator Fighting Championships, Shark Fights and World Victory Road. Korean fighter Mu Bae Choi handed him his first loss in Japan on January 2009, fighting in the World Victory Road Sengoku promotion. In his next fight Herman defeated Jim York at Sengoku 11.
In 2010, Herman became entangled in a lawsuit with Bellator that kept him out of action in the United States for just over a year. Once the legal issues were settled, Herman was scheduled to face Ricco Rodriguez at Bellator 31 but Rodriguez pulled out of the fight due to a knee injury. Michal Kita stepped in, and served as Rodriguez's replacement. Herman defeated him via first round submission.
Herman received his second loss after being disqualified for illegal knees to Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. Herman then faced Yoshihiro Nakao at World Victory Road Presents: Soul of Fight. He won the fight via decision, the first fight in his career to go the distance.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
When Brock Lesnar pulled out of his main event fight with Junior dos Santos, Jon Olav Einemo's original opponent, Shane Carwin, stepped up to replace Lesnar against dos Santos. Herman instead fought fellow UFC newcomer Einemo. Herman defeated Einemo via TKO (punches) at 3:19 of round 2 in a back and forth bout that earned Fight of the Night honors.
Herman was scheduled to face Mike Russow on October 8, 2011 at UFC 136. However, the bout was cancelled after Herman failed his preliminary drug test in which he tested positive for marijuana. Herman denies using the prohibited substances.
Herman tested positive for marijuana for the second time after failing his post-fight drug test for UFC 153. He was suspended for six months and ordered to undergo treatment. The suspension was lifted in April 2013.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||21 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||21–5||Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira||Submission (armbar)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||2||4:31||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Tested positive for marijuana|
|Loss||21–4||Roy Nelson||KO (punch)||UFC 146||May 26, 2012||1||0:51||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||21–3||Stefan Struve||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||2||3:52||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||21–2||John-Olav Einemo||TKO (punches)||UFC 131||June 11, 2011||2||3:19||Vancouver, Canada||Fight of the Night|
|Win||20–2||Yoshihiro Nakao||Decision (unanimous)||Sengoku: Soul of Fight||December 30, 2010||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||19–2||Michał Kita||Submission (omoplata)||Bellator 31||September 30, 2010||1||3:16||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||18–2||Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou||DQ (illegal knees)||ADFC: Round 1||May 14, 2010||2||N/A||Abu Dhabi, UAE||Openweight GP Quarterfinal.|
|Win||18–1||Jim York||KO (axe kicks)||Sengoku 11||November 7, 2009||1||2:25||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||17–1||Don Frye||TKO (punches)||Shark Fights 6: Frye vs. Herman||September 12, 2009||1||1:00||Amarillo, Texas, United States|
|Win||16–1||Josh Barnes||KO (knee & punches)||Bellator 5||May 1, 2009||1||4:46||Dayton, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||15–1||Choi Mu-Bae||TKO (punches)||Sengoku no Ran 2009||January 4, 2009||2||2:22||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||15–0||Chris Guillen||TKO (punches)||KOK: Season's Beatings||November 22, 2008||1||1:32||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||14–0||Kerry Schall||TKO (knees and punches)||ShoXC#October 10, 2008 card||October 10, 2008||1||1:06||Hammond, Indiana, United States|
|Win||13–0||Ron Waterman||TKO (punches)||EliteXC: Return of the King||June 14, 2008||1||2:19||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||12–0||Mario Rinaldi||TKO (knees and punches)||EliteXC: Street Certified||February 16, 2008||3||0:33||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Win||11–0||Justin Kuhn||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Maximum Combat||December 8, 2007||1||2:56||United States|
|Win||10–0||Chuck Geyer||KO (punch)||LOF 22: Nemesis||November 30, 2007||1||1:31||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||9–0||Terry Tucker||KO (punch)||LOF 20: Bitter Rivals||September 28, 2007||1||N/A||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||8–0||Jordan Wall||Submission (punches)||Title Fighting Championships||June 30, 2007||1||1:30||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||7–0||Andre Mussi||TKO (punches)||Fight Night in the Flats III||June 9, 2007||1||3:00||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Win||6–0||James Samuels||KO (punch)||LOF 18: Pole Position||May 25, 2007||1||0:18||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||5–0||James Ferguson||KO (punch)||LOF 17: Unrivaled||May 19, 2007||1||1:59||Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States|
|Win||4–0||Seth Parker||Submission (rear-naked choke)||LOF: Revolution 4||April 13, 2007||1||3:11||Plainfield, Indiana, United States|
|Win||3–0||Greg Hammer||Submission (punches)||FSG: Coliseum Carnage||April 8, 2007||1||1:13||Ames, Iowa, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jeff Orieze||KO (punch)||LOF: Revolution 2||February 17, 2007||1||4:59||Plainfield, Indiana, United States|
|Win||1–0||Mike Cooke||KO (punch)||LOF 12: Black Tie Battles||December 31, 2006||1||1:39||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
- "MMA's Top 25 Unknown and Up & Coming Heavyweights". 2010-09-12.
- "Jeff Monson to Struggle For Relevance Against Dave Herman". 2010-09-12.
- "Exclusive interview with EliteXC heavyweight prospect Dave Herman". 2010-09-12.
- "Dave Herman vs. Jim York". 2010-10-14.
- "MMA ruling social media". sportsnet.ca. 2010-07-21.
- "Dave Herman vs. Ricco Rodriguez booked for Bellator 31". 2010-09-12.
- "Knee surgery forces Ricco Rodriguez out of Bellator 31 fight with Dave Herman". 2010-09-17.
- "Ricco Rodriguez Out, Herman Ready For Kita". 2010-09-24.
- "Herman-Nakao Slated for WVR 'Soul of Fight'". 2010-11-19.
- "UFC Signs Dave "Pee-Wee" Herman, Makes Debut Against Rob Broughton at UFC 131". mmaweekly.com.
- "Joey Beltran vs. Dave Herman added to UFC 131 in Vancouver". mmajunkie.com.com. March 31, 2011.
- "Heavyweight changes continue". ufc.com. May 13, 2011.
- "UFC 136: Dave Herman vs Mike Russow fight announced for Oct. 8 in Houston, Texas". mmamania.com. 2011-07-14.
- "Dave Herman says UFC 136 scratch due to failed drug test for marijuana, steroids". mmajunkie.com. September 29, 2011. Retrieved September 29, 2011.
- "Dave Herman vs. Stefan Struve targeted for UFC on FUEL TV 1". mmajunkie.com. November 30, 2011. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Roy Nelson vs Dave Herman booked with Gabriel Gonzaga injured". mmamania.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- Halvatzis Jr., George (September 12, 2012). "Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Dave Herman Booked For UFC 153 On Oct. 13 In Rio". mmamania.com.
- "UFC suspends Bonnar one year; Herman ordered to undergo treatment, suspension awaits". mmajunkie.com. 2012-11-6. Retrieved 2012-11-8.
- "Dave Herman passes drug test, reinstated to fight in UFC". mmajunkie.com. 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Staff (April 11, 2013). "Herman vs. Del Rosario headed to UFC 162". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Shane del Rosario forced out at UFC 162, Dave Herman now meets Gabriel Gonzaga". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2013-06-01.