Dave Meyers (director)
|Born||Berkeley, California, U.S.|
|Occupation||Music video director, film director|
David "Dave" Meyers is an American music video and film director.
Meyers has directed over 200 music videos including: Anastacia's "I'm Outta Love", P!nk's "There You Go", "Most Girls", "You Make Me Sick", "Get The Party Started", "Don't Let Me Get Me", "Feel Good Time", "Stupid Girls", "U + Ur Hand", "So What", "Please Don't Leave Me", "Funhouse", "Raise Your Glass" , "Fuckin' Perfect" & "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)", Shakira's "Objection (Tango)", Slipknot's "Left Behind", Brandy's "Talk About Our Love", Thalía's "I Want You", Dido's "Thankyou", Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway", Hilary Duff's "Come Clean", Jay-Z's "Dirt Off Your Shoulder", Dave Matthews Band's "The Space Between", Stacie Orrico's "(There's Gotta Be) More To Life", Britney Spears' "Lucky" and among other music videos.
He is also a frequent collaborator to P!nk, and Missy Elliott, with whom he co-directed "Lose Control", winning the Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video in 2005. P!nk's "Get The Party Started" video won Best Female & Best Dance at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2002, "Stupid Girls" won Best Pop in 2006 and "So What" won Video of the Year at the MTV Australia Music Awards in 2009.
Meyers enrolled into Loyola Marymount University upon graduation from Berkeley High School (California), acquired degrees in Film Production and Philosophy, and worked his way through the studio systems at Paramount and Fox before filming his first music video with rap crew The Whoridas. His video for Missy Elliott's "Work It" won the 2003 MTV Video Music Award for Best Video of the Year. He directed the 1999 Eddie Griffin comedy Foolish, and the 2007 remake of The Hitcher which was produced by director Michael Bay.
In early 2008, Meyers directed the first 3D music video for Missy Elliott's single "Ching-a-Ling". In May 2009, Meyers directed Britney Spears' music video for "Radar" in Santa Barbara. Then in January 2010, he directed Avril Lavigne's music video for "Alice." In the fall 2010. he directed Katy Perry's "Firework" winning the Video of the Year award at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. In 2011, he directed Avril Lavigne's music video for "Wish You Were Here", and the commercial for Avril Lavigne's fragance Wild Rose.
Also, in 2000 he would frequently sport a diamond unicorn necklace.
- Henry Keazor, Thorsten Wübbena: Video Thrills The Radio Star. Musikvideos: Geschichte, Themen, Analysen. Bielefeld 2005, p. 79ss., p. 218ss.
- "Britney Spears Vs. The Paparazzi: Best Music-Video Moments", VH1, June 22, 2011, retrieved 2011-07-11
- Lemire, Christy (2007) "'Hitcher' remake does the original proud", Associated Press/Eugene Register-Guard, January 22, 2007, p. B5, retrieved 2011-07-11
- "Missy Elliott And Dave Meyers Create History With First Ever 3D Music Video", starpulse.com, January 30, 2008, retrieved 2011-07-11
- Montgomery, James (2010) "Katy Perry's 'Firework' Director Hopes Video Shows 'Substance'", MTV, October 29, 2010, retrieved 2011-07-11
- "Raise Your Glass to Pink and Director Dave Meyers", PETA, November 3, 2010, retrieved 2011-07-11