Dave Stryker (born March 30, 1957) is an American jazz guitarist. He has 25 CDs as a leader to date, and has been a featured sideman with Stanley Turrentine, Jack McDuff, and Kevin Mahogany, among others. Gary Giddins in the Village Voice calls him “one of the most distinctive guitarists to come along in recent years.” He was recently voted one of the Top Guitarists in the 2013 Critics and Readers Poll of Down Beat, and previously was elected a Rising Star in the 2004-2007 Downbeat Critics Poll.
Stryker grew up in Omaha, Nebraska, moved to New York City in 1980, and joined organist Jack McDuff’s group, travelling all over the U.S. for two years (1984–85). From 1986 to 1995,and 1998-2000 Stryker played with tenor saxophonist Stanley Turrentine, performing at all the major festivals, concert halls, and clubs throughout the world.
He currently leads his own group The Dave Stryker Organ Trio, as well as his Blue to the Bone Band. He co-leads The Stryker / Slagle Band with saxophonist Steve Slagle.
Dave is also involved in passing along his experience by teaching. He is Adjunct Professor Of Jazz Guitar at Indiana University and Adjunct Professor of Jazz Guitar at John J. Cali School of Music Montclair State University. He also teaches privately and at the Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshop, the Litchfield Jazz Camp, the JazzHouse Kids Workshop, and many other workshops all over the world. His book Dave Stryker’s Jazz Guitar Improvisation Method, is available from Mel Bay Publications and at www.davestryker.com.
- First Strike, 1988
- "Guitar on Top" 1991
- Strike Zone with Steve Slagle, Marc Copland, Ron McClure and Ronnie Burrage, 1990
- Passage with Steve Slagle, Joey Calderazzo, Jay Anderson and Adam Nussbaum, 1991
- Blue Degrees with Larry Goldings, Rick Margitza and Jeff Hirshfield, 1992
- Full Moon with Steve Slagle, Jay Anderson and Jeff Hirshfield, 1993
- Stardust with Joey DeFrancesco and Adam Nussbaum, 1994
- Nomad with The Bill Warfield Big Band and Randy Brecker and Steve Slagle, 1994
- The Greeting with Bruce Barth, Tony Reedus, Scott Colley and Daniel Sadownick, 1995
- Blue to the Bone with Brian Lynch, Rich Perry, Conrad Herwig, Bob Parsons, Bruce Barth, Jay Anderson and Billy Drummond, 1996
- Big Room with Billy Hart, Rich Perry and Ed Howard, 1996
- All The Way with Bill Stewart and Scott Colley, 1997
- Blue to the Bone II with Adam Nussbaum, Steve Slagle and Clark Gayton, 1998
- Shades of Miles with Billy Hart, Manolo Badrena, Terry Burns, Marc Copland, Larry Goldings, Steve Slagle, Billy Drewes and Brian Lynch, 1998
- Changing Times with Steve Slagle, Bill Moring, Tim Horner and Manolo Badrena, 1999
- Blue to the Bone III with Jay Anderson, Clark Gayton, Tim Horner, Brian Lynch, Bob Parsons, Steve Slagle and James Williams, 2001
- Shade's Beyond with Steve Slagle, David Berkman and Terry Burns, 2004
- "Strike up the Band" with Xavier Davis, Andy McKee, Billy Hart 2005
- Big City with Ed Howard, Dave Kikoski and Victor Lewis, 2005
- Six String Santa, 2005
- The Chaser with Jared Gold, Tony Reedus, 2006
- "Live at the Jazz Standard" The Stryker / Slagle Band with Steve Slagle, Ed Howard and Victor Lewis, 2005
- Latest Outlook The Stryker / Slagle Band with Jay Anderson, Billy Hart, Joe Lovano and Steve Slagle, 2007
- "The Scene" The Stryker / Slagle Band with Steve Slagle, Jay Anderson, Joe Lovano and Victor Lewis, 2008
- "One for Reedus" with Jared Gold and Steve Williams, 2010
- "Keystone" with Jared Gold, Stephen Riley, and Quincy Davis, 2010
- "Keeper" The Stryker / Slagle Band with Steve Slagle, Jay Anderson and Victor Lewis, 2010
- "Blue Strike" with Jared Gold, Freddie Hendrix, Stephen Riley and Billy Hart, 2011
- "Blue to the Bone IV" with Jared Gold, Steve Slagle, Freddie Hendrix, Gary Smulyan, Vincent Gardner, and McClenty Hunter, 2012