Dave Ward (reporter)
|Davíd Henry Ward|
|Born||Davíd Henry Ward
May 6, 1939
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
|Notable credit(s)||KTRK-TV Newscaster 1967 to present|
|Children||Jonathan Ward, Chris Ward, Linda Ann Ward Heatly, David Henry Ward Jr.|
Davíd Henry Ward (born May 6, 1939 in Dallas, Texas) president of a local charity and an American journalist. He is currently and has been an anchor of the weekday 6:00 pm and 10:00 pm newscasts on KTRK-TV's Eyewitness News in Houston, Texas for over 40 years. He joined KTRK-TV in 1966 as reporter and photographer and was promoted to his current position as weekday evening anchor in 1968.
|“||I've been doing the same news show on the same station longer than anyone in the history of American television.||”|
Ward began his career at KGKB radio while attending Tyler Junior College (class of 1960 ). Three years later, he began working at WACO-FM as a staff announcer. Later in 1963, Ward became the first full-time reporter at KNUZ radio, located in Houston. In 1966, he was hired on the spot at KTRK-TV:
|“||...I met with the top people at the station, General Manager Willard Walbridge, Program Manager Howard Finch and News Director Ray Conaway at Le Que, a pool hall, where they went for lunch several days a week and to shoot some pool. I was hired then and there.||”|
He was hired as an on the street reporter and photographer. Four years later, he was promoted to co-anchor of the weekday 6PM and 10PM weekday newscasts, the position he holds to this day, currently with Gina Gaston.
Ward, a personal friend of Marvin Zindler, helped Zindler obtain his position at Channel 13, by urging the station to hire him after Zindler had been fired from his job at the sheriff's department.
Ward is known for beginning every newscast with the phrase, "Good evening, friends."
Positions and achievements
In addition to his television and radio career, he has played an active role in establishing Houston Crime Stoppers, currently serving as President of the local Easter Seals Society, and chairing the Public Affairs Advisory Board of the Houston Business Council.
Dave Ward on Video
- Forest Brook HS Band 1994
- April 7, 1992 10pm newscast on YouTube
- 1972 Commercial: "Move Closer To Your World" on YouTube
- April 25, 1989 Eyewitness News Update on YouTube
- "Dave Ward" (Biography). abc13.com. Retrieved 2007-07-31.
- Lynn, Ashby (October 6, 2006). ""Good evening, friends. I'm Dave Ward." - H Texas Online" (Biography). H Texas Online. Retrieved 2007-07-31.
- "Alumni Awards Program". Tyler Junior College. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Gunter, Ford (2007-07-30). "Houston icon Marvin Zindler dies at 85" (News article). Houston Business Journal. Retrieved 2007-07-30.
After Zindler was fired from his job with the sheriff's department, Ward urged the station to hire him.