|32nd Ohio Auditor of State|
January 10, 2011
|Preceded by||Mary Taylor|
|Delaware County Auditor|
|Succeeded by||Todd Hanks|
|Delaware County Prosecutor|
|Succeeded by||Carol O'Brien|
|Alma mater||The Ohio State University|
Family, Education and Early Career
Dave Yost graduated from The Ohio State University with a B.A. degree in Journalism. He became an award-winning journalist with the Columbus Citizen-Journal. He went on to serve in senior positions within the administrations of Columbus Mayor Buck Rinehart and Ohio Governor George Voinovich. He then earned a Juris Doctor from Capital University Law School.
While operating a successful private law practice, Yost was appointed Delaware County Auditor in 1999. In 2003, he became the Delaware County Prosecutor where he won the first-ever capital murder case in the county’s history and successfully prosecuted the largest drug ring to ever operate in Delaware.
Auditor Yost and his wife Darlene live in Franklin County. They have three children and three grandchildren.
Auditor of State (2011-present)
Auditor Yost won the election for Ohio's 32nd state auditor in November 2010.
Initiatives in Office
Statewide School Attendance Data Audit
After receiving several tips of suspected attendance data manipulation in school districts around the state, Auditor Yost launched a statewide audit of student attendance data on July 26, 2012. The audit was conducted in three phases and found that nine school districts across the state “scrubbed” their attendance data. Auditor Yost also provided the Ohio General Assembly with recommendations for improvements to the state’s accountability system.
Columbus City Schools Special Audit
While conducting the statewide school attendance data audit, concerns were raised about potential grade changing at the Columbus City School District, and due to the scope of the fraud allegations, a separate special audit was launched. Released in January 2014, the audit revealed a top-down culture of data manipulation and employee intimidation. Referrals for possible criminal charges and disciplinary action were sent to prosecutors and the Ohio Department of Education. Mastermind Steve Tankovich became a convicted criminal on July 30, 2014 and agreed as part of a plea deal to cooperate with any further prosecutions.
- "Inaugural Ceremonies 2011: Auditor of State Swearing-In Ceremony: Dave Yost". OhioChannel.org. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "About Auditor of State Dave Yost". OhioAuditor.gov. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Ohio Auditor Dave Yost Lincoln Day Dinner Speaker in Cambridge". http://www.toledoblade.com/. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- Naymik, Mark (25 January 2010). "Delaware County Prosecutor David Yost leaves Ohio attorney general race for auditor's race". Cleveland "Plain Dealer".
- Grace, Francie (5 June 2003). "Ohio Horror: 1 Man, 3 Dead Wives". CBS News. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Provance, Jim (September 5, 2010). "Ohio Horror: 1 Man, 3 Dead Wives". "Toledo Blade". Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Republican David Yost defeats Pepper for Ohio auditor". www.toledoblade.com. Toledo Blade. 11 March 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Ohio State Auditor Will Launch Investigation Into School Cheating, Attendance Record Tampering". www.huffingtonpost.com. "Associated Press". 27 July 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Statewide School Attendance Audit". www.ohioauditor.gov. "Ohio Auditor of State Dave Yost". Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Nine Schools “Scrubbers” in Statewide Attendance Audit" (Press release). Columbus, Ohio: Ohio Auditor of State Dave Yost. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- Ingles, Joe (11 February 2013). "Auditor’s Report: Four More Districts Scrubbed Attendance Data". IdeaStream (Ohio: Ohio Public Radio Statehouse News Bureau). Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Auditor Yost Investigating Possible Fraud in the Columbus City Schools" (Press release). Columbus, Ohio: Ohio Auditor of State Dave Yost. Ohio Auditor of State. 6 June 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Smith Richards", Jennifer (15 September 2013). "Subpoenas show Columbus City Schools probe has grown". The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio: Dispatch Media Group). Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Wainfor, Steve (27 January 2014). "Auditor To Release Findings Of CCS Attendance Investigation". nbc4 (Columbus, Ohio: nbc4i.com). Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Student Altered Attendance Records Review for the School Year 2010-2011 Special Review (Technical report). Columbus City Schools Office of Internal Audit (published 20 December 2012). 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Smith Richards", Jennifer (14 November 2012). "Columbus Officials Will Likely Face Criminal Referrals For Falsifying Ohio Student Data". The Columbus Dispatch (The Huffington Post). Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Smith Richards", Jennifer; Bush, Bill (1 August 2014). "Data czar pleads to felony in Columbus schools cheating". The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio: Dispatch Media Group). Retrieved 24 August 2014.
|Ohio State Auditor