David Allan Walker
|David Allan Walker|
|Born||14 July 1956|
|Service/branch||Royal Air Force|
|Years of service||1974-2011|
|Commands held||RAF Halton
RAF Training Group
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order
Officer of the Order of the British Empire
|Other work||Senior Advisor at HSBC Holdings
Master of the Household
Extra Equerry to The Queen
Vice-Patron of the Royal International Air Tattoo
President of the London Wing of the Air Training Corps
Vice-President of the RAF Club.
Air Marshal Sir David Walker is a Senior Advisor at HSBC Holdings. Prior to this appointment, he was Master of the Royal Household from January 2005 to September 2013. He joined the Royal Air Force in 1974 and his career was predominantly in HR. Other appointments included Equerry to Her Majesty The Queen, secondment to the Diplomatic Service in South Africa, command of RAF Halton, and Director of Corporate Communication (RAF).
After training, Sir David was commissioned an acting pilot officer in the administrative branch of the RAF on 1 September 1974. He was regraded to pilot officer on 15 July 1977 (seniority 15 October 1975), promoted to flying officer on 15 January 1978 (seniority 15 April 1976) and promoted to flight lieutenant on 15 October 1980.
From 2001 to 2005, Sir David served at HQ Personnel and Training Command. Firstly as Director of Personnel and Training Policy, then as Air Officer Commanding the RAF Training Group (now Number 22 (Training) Group). This embraced the Royal Air Force College Cranwell, 6 other major training units, 10,000 personnel and over 300 aircraft. He was responsible for flying and aeronautical engineering training for all three Armed Services, and other general and specialist training for the RAF. He retired from the RAF on 31 August 2011 but remained in his post as Master of the Household.
Sir David is an Extra Equerry to The Queen. He is also Vice-Patron of the Royal International Air Tattoo, President of the London Wing of the Air Training Corps, and a Vice-President of the RAF Club. He is a Chartered Member of the Institute of Personnel and Development.
Awards and titles
Sir David was appointed Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) in 1992, Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1995, and knighted as a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO) in the 2011 Birthday Honours, being invested in a personal audience with The Queen on 13 July 2011.
- "Air Vice-Marshal David Walker, OBE, MVO". Debrett's. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "The London Gazette, 16 December 1974". London-gazette.co.uk. 1974-12-16. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "The London Gazette, 26 August 1977". London-gazette.co.uk. 1977-08-26. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "The London Gazette, 16 January 1978". London-gazette.co.uk. 1978-01-16. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "The London Gazette, 10 November 1980". London-gazette.co.uk. 1980-11-10. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- The Court Circular, 13 July 2011
- The London Gazette: . 11 June 2011.
- "HM The Queen's Birthday Honours List - 2011". London: Daily Telegraph. 11 June 2011. Retrieved 12 June 2011.
|Air Officer Commanding Training Group
2003 to 2005
Sir Anthony Blackburn
|Master of the Household
2005 to 2013