David Avis in 1987
|Born||March 20, 1951|
|Institutions||McGill University, Kyoto University|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Doctoral advisor||Václav Chvátal|
|Doctoral students||David Rappaport
David Michael Avis (born March 20, 1951) is a Canadian and British computer scientist known for his contributions to geometric computations. Avis is a professor in computational geometry and applied mathematics in the School of Computer Science, McGill University, in Montreal. Since 2010, he belongs to Department of Communications and Computer Engineering, School of Informatics, Kyoto University.
Avis received his Ph.D. in 1977 from Stanford University. He has published more than 70 journal papers and articles. Writing with Komei Fukuda, Avis proposed a reverse-search algorithm for the vertex enumeration problem; their algorithm generates all of the vertices of a convex polytope. He has a collaboration article with Paul Erdős. Therefore, his Erdős number is 1.
- Avis, David; Fukuda, Komei (December 1992). "A pivoting algorithm for convex hulls and vertex enumeration of arrangements and polyhedra". Discrete and Computational Geometry 8 (1): 295–313. doi:10.1007/BF02293050. MR 1174359.
- Avis, David; Fukuda, Komei (1996). "Reverse Search for Enumeration". Discrete Applied Mathematics 6: 21–46.
- School of Computer Science(McGill Univ.)
- David Avis’ homepage(McGill Univ.)
- David Avis' homepage(Kyoto Univ.)
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|