David Burke (politician)
|Member of the Ohio Senate
from the 26th district
July 13, 2011
|Preceded by||Karen Gillmor|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 83rd district
January 5, 2009 – July 13, 2011
|Preceded by||Tony Core|
|Succeeded by||Dorothy Liggett Pelanda|
July 26, 1967 |
|Spouse(s)||Donna (2 children)|
|Alma mater||Ohio Northern University (B.S.) Capital University (M.B.A.)|
David Burke is the state Senator for the 26th District of the Ohio Senate. He formerly served in the Ohio House of Representatives. He is the Chairman of the Senate Finance Medicaid subcommittee. Burke is a Republican.
Burke received his bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy from Ohio Northern University and his master’s degree in Business Administration from Capital University. Burke has owned Dave's Pharmacy in Marysville, Ohio since 1997, and served on Marysville City Council from 2004 to 2008.
With incumbent Tony Core unable to run for another term, Burke was one of three Republicans who sought to replace him, along with Jack Reser and Cameron Wesselbeck. In the end, Burke won the nomination with 46.78% of the electorate, only 400 votes more than Reser. He ran unopposed in the general election, ensuring him a seat at the Statehouse. In 2010, Burke again ran unopposed.
With Senator Karen Gillmor resigning from her seat, Burke had been named as a possible successor. Up against ten others who were vying for the seat, Burke was seen as one of the favorites to obtain the seat.
Ultimately, it was announced by Tom Niehaus that Burke would indeed be appointed to fill the vacancy. He was sworn into office on July 13, 2011. Burke successfully ran for a full term to his seat in 2012, defeating Democrat Tanyce Addison 61% to 39%.
- State Government Oversight & Reform--Chair
- Finance: Medicaid Sub.--Chair
- Medicaid, Health & Human Services--VC
- Insurance & Financial Institutions
- Ohio Retirement Study Council
|Year||Office||Election||Votes for Burke||%||Opponent||Party||Votes||%|
|2003||Marysville City Council||General||482||72%||Ken Kraus||Democrat||192||28%|
|2008||Ohio House of Representatives||General||22,490||100%|
|2012||Ohio Senate||General||86,055||60%||Tancye Addison||Democrat||56,741||40%|
- Brunner, Jennifer 2008 primary election results (2008-03-04)
- Ohio House: Batchelder Announces House GOP Policy Committee
- Provance, Jim (2011-06-21). "Ohio GOP to start search to replace Gillmor in Senate". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- Provance, Jim (2011-07-04). "10 men apply to replace Gillmor in Ohio Senate". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Husted, Jon 2012 general election results (2012-11-06)