David Charles (philosopher)
David Owain Maurice Charles is Colin Prestige Fellow, and Professor of Philosophy at Oriel College, Oxford. He was a CUF Lecturer in Philosophy, Faculty of Philosophy, Oxford University, and has been a Visiting Professor at the University of California at Los Angeles and at Rutgers University, New Jersey.
Charles holds a master's degree (B.Phil.) and a doctorate (D.Phil.) in philosophy from Oxford University. His research interests lie in issues concerning meaning, definition and practical skill and interconnections between philosophy and psychiatry. He has published on Greek philosophy and on contemporary philosophy of mind and metaphysics.
- Aristotle's Philosophy of Action (1984)
- (co-editor with Kathleen Lennon) Reduction, Explanation and Realism (1992)
- (co-editor with Theodore Scaltsas and Mary Louise Gill) Unity, Identity and Explanation in Aristotle’s Metaphysics (1994)
- Aristotle on Meaning and Essence (2000)
- (co-editor with Michael Frede) Aristotle’s Metaphysics Book Lambda, (2000)
- (co-editor with William Child) Wittgensteinian themes: essays in honour of David Pears (2001)
- (editor) Definition in Greek Philosophy (2010)
|This biography of a British philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|