David Collins (hurler)
David Collins of Galway holds off Tipperary's Eoin Kelly in the 2014 National Hurling League
|Irish name||Daithí Ó Coileáin|
|Position||Left Corner Back|
17 March 1984 |
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|* Inter County team apps and scores correct as of 15:52, 22 August 2012.|
David Collins (born 17 March 1984) is an Irish hurler who currently plays as a right corner-back for the Galway senior team. He joined the team in 2004 and has been a regular member of the starting fifteen since then.
An All-Ireland medalist in the under-21 grade, Collins has been a stalwart on the Galway team for almost a decade. He has won one Leinster winners' medal, two National Hurling League winners' medals and one Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year award. He ended up as an All-Ireland runner-up on two occasions.
At club level Collins plays with the Liam Mellows club in Galway.
Collins plays his club hurling with his local Liam Mellows GAA club in Galway. He has had some success at underage level, however, the club hasn't won a senior county club championship title since 1970.
Collins first came to prominence on the inter-county scene as a member of the Galway minor hurling team. He enjoyed little success in this grade but later played with the under-21 county side. He won an All-Ireland medal with the Galway under-21 team in 2005 following a 1-15 to 1-14 defeat of Kilkenny.
By this stage Collins was a regular on the Galway senior team. He won a National League winners medal in 2004 as Galway defeated Waterford by 2-15 to 1-13. Later that year he made his championship debut at centre-back against Down.
In 2005 Galway defeated both Tipperary and Kilkenny in the All-Ireland series to qualify for an All-Ireland final showdown with Cork. It was the first meeting of Cork and Galway in an All-Ireland final since 1990 and even more daunting was the fact that men from the west had never beaten Cork in a championship decider. Neither side broke away into a considerable lead, however, at the final whistle Cork were ahead by 1-21 to 1-16. In spite of this defeat Collins ended the year as the Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year.
In 2007 Collins was appointed Galway captain.
After a number of disappointing seasons Collins won a second National League medal in 2010 following a 2-22 to 1-17 defeat of Cork.
- Leinster Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2012
- National Hurling League (2): 2004, 2010
- All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2005
- Connacht Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2005
- Interprovincial Hurling Championship (1): 2004
- Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year (1): 2005
- "Galway boss Hayes names strong side for Down date". Breaking News website. 23 June 2004. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Player profile: David Collins". Galway Hurling Supporters Club website. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway Upstage Kilkenny Again". Irish Abroad website. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway cruise to League glory". Breaking News website. 9 May 2004. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Collins selected as Galway captain". RTÉ Sport. 14 June 2007. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway 2–22 Cork 1–17". RTÉ Sport. 4 May 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway land historic Leinster win". RTÉ Sport. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
|Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year
James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick
|Galway Senior Hurling Captain