David Coulter (politician)
|David W. Coulter|
|Mayor of Ferndale, Michigan|
|Preceded by||Craig Covey|
|Alma mater||Michigan State University
David Coulter is the mayor of Ferndale, Michigan. He is a member of the Democratic Party.
Personal life and education
Coulter was raised in St. Clair Shores, Michigan, and attended St. Joan of Arc Grade School in the city. He graduated from Bishop Gallagher High School in Harper Woods, Michigan. Coulter earned a bachelor's degree from Michigan State University and an Executive Education Certificate from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. He is openly gay.
Coulter has worked as a civil engineering draftsman and school teacher. He was employed for thirteen years by Michigan Consolidated Gas Company, served as the Executive Director of the Michigan AIDS Fund  and a Program Officer for the Children's Hospital of Michigan Foundation.
Coulter was elected to the Oakland County Commission in 2002, defeating a 20-year incumbent by 86 votes. He served four terms on the Commission (2002-2010), also serving as Democratic minority leader. He left the seat to run for a Michigan Senate seat in the 14th district in 2010, but lost in the primary to Vincent Gregory. Coulter was appointed Mayor of Ferndale in January, 2011 after his predecessor was elected to the Oakland County Commission. Coulter was then elected to the two-year position in November 2011. He was re-elected in November 2013,  defeating his predecessor and two other challengers.
Dave Coulter 84.2%
Ray Willis 15.1%
Dave Coulter 47.7%
Craig Covey 33.2%
Linda Parton 9.8%
Sherry Wells 9.0%
- "David Coulter". Vote Michigan. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Endorsements: State Senate in Oakland County districts". Detroit Free Press. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Adolphus, Emmell Derra (15 February 2011). "Dave Coulter Sworn in as Ferndale's Mayor". Ferndale Patch. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Ellis, Leslie (7 May 2013). "Ferndale Mayor Dave Coulter Announces Re-Election Bid". Ferndale Patch. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Laitner, Bill (12 August 2013). "Michigan's first gay mayor says he'll duel state's second one in Ferndale election". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Schrader, Jessica (2012-06-28). "Mayor's Council Aims to Promote Business Growth in Ferndale - Government - Ferndale, MI Patch". Ferndale.patch.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Kavanaugh, Cathy (3 September 2013). "Ferndale Mayor David Coulter, Congressman Sander Levin take $4.50-a-day meal challenge". Oakland Press News. Retrieved 14 September 2013.