David Crockett High School (Austin, Texas)
|David Crockett High School|
|5601 Manchaca Road, Austin, Texas, 78745
|School district||Austin Independent School District|
|Color(s)||Brown and Gold|
|Athletics conference||UIL 26-AAAA|
Crockett High School is a public high school located in South Austin, Texas. The school opened in 1968 and is part of the Austin Independent School District (AISD). It was named after U.S. frontiersman Davy Crockett.
In the fall of 1968 when Crockett opened, according to the US Census Bureau, Austin had a population of 234,375 and Crockett was one of seven high schools in AISD. In 2009, the Austin Chamber of Commerce lists Austin's population at 1,705,075 with 12 high schools in AISD.
Crockett High School is located at the corner of Manchaca Road and Stassney Lane. In 1968, both were just two lanes and the only other building in the area was a two-story farm house on Manchaca Road. Crockett's first principal, Forrest Kline, teachers and students enjoyed lunch in the courtyard with massive boulders and oak trees (the cafeteria had not been completed). Actor Fess Parker, best known for his 1950s portrayals of Davy Crockett for Walt Disney. attended the first pep rally.
In 1971, A federal judge ordered Anderson High School in East Austin closed because it was still racially segregated. African-American students from the old Anderson High School were bussed to Crockett starting in the fall of that year.
On December 26, 1972, a semi-trailer truck loaded with cattle clipped a guard rail on a narrow bridge on US 60/84 near Fort Sumner, New Mexico. A bus chartered by Woodlawn Baptist Church, en route to a youth ski and Bible conference in Vadito, New Mexico, smashed into the trailer. Nineteen people were killed in what was called "Worst Accident in New Mexico's History"; thirteen were Crockett students. A memorial was held early in 1973 at Palmer Auditorium (now the Long Center for the Performing Arts). Former President Lyndon B. Johnson was in attendance. A memorial to the students is in Crockett's courtyard.
- Bruce Scholtz, class of 1977, former professional football player
- Roger Huerta, professional MMA fighter
- Colton Tooley 2010 University of Texas at Austin campus shooter.
- "Population History of the City of Austin". ci.austin.tx.us.
- "Austin's 2009 Population". austin-chamber.org.
- Dave Smith. Disney A to Z. Disney Editions, 2006. 161.
- History of David Crockett High School. David Crockett High School Alumni Directory 2001, Harris Publishing 2001. pages V-X.
- "Fort Sumner, NM Bus And Truck Collision, Dec 1972, 19 TEXANS DEAD IN NEW MEXICO CRASH. WORST ACCIDENT IN NEW MEXICO'S HISTORY".
- Kelley Shannon. "Gunman opens fire at UT in Austin, kills himself" Associated Press. September 28, 2010.