|Full name||David Dwyer|
|Date of birth||15 March 1964|
|Original team||St Oliver's|
|Height/Weight||182 cm / 80 kg|
|1984-1991||North Melbourne||72 (37)|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 1991 season.
Early life and family
He comes from a family with a strong connection to the North Melbourne Football Club. His father Laurie Dwyer is on the wing in North Melbourne's Team of the Century and his grandfather Leo Dwyer played 71 games for North Melbourne. He also has a younger brother, Anthony Dwyer, who played with North Melbourne in the 1990s.
Dwyer kicked the winning goal for North Melbourne in the club's round three win over Carlton at Princes Park in 1985. Carlton led by 16 points in time-on, but North Melbourne' Ross Glendinning managed two quick goals, which was followed by a 35th minute goal to Dwyer, who had marked from a Tony Furey kick. The siren sounded as soon as the ball was bounced in the centre, which gave North Melbourne a 22.15 (147) to 22.13 (145) win. The season would end up being a curtailed by injury, a stress fracture in his foot kept him out of the side for much of the year, but he played in both of North Melbourne's finals games.
In the 1986 season, Dwyer played 17 league games, a year North Melbourne missed out on the finals only on percentage. Against Collingwood at Victoria Park in round 14, Dwyer broke his nose and suffered concussion when he collided with umpire Ian Robinson.
He made 10 appearances in 1987, then didn't feature at all in the 1988 season, but did play in the reserves, which were coached by his father. This was followed by just one appearance in 1990 and three in 1991, his final season.
- "Football". Associated Catholic Colleges. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Holmesby, Russell & Main, Jim (2007). The Encyclopedia Of AFL Footballers. BAS Publishing. ISBN 9781920910785.
- "Kangaroos' Dwyer dynasty is still growing". The Age. 5 November 1989. p. 32. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Hillier, K. (2004). Like Father Like Son. Pennon Publishing, Melbourne. ISBN 1-877029-73-4.
- "David Dwyer - Games Played". AFL Tables. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "North nudges the Blues out with a late goal.". The Canberra Times (ACT: National Library of Australia). 14 April 1985. p. 6 Section: SPORT. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Australian Football: VFL tempers flare on and off the oval.". The Canberra Times (ACT: National Library of Australia). 15 April 1985. p. 21. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Round 3, 1985". Blueseum - Online Carlton Football Club Museum. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Richmond gives Jess a week off". The Age. 26 June 1985. p. 43. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Lovett, Michael (2004). AFL 2004 - The Official Statistical History Of The AFL. AFL Publishing. ISBN 0-9580300-5-7.
- Smithers, Patrick (30 June 1986). "Hawthorn names rookie in squad for night final". The Age. p. 30. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Norths in 'Best win of season'.". The Canberra Times (ACT: National Library of Australia). 4 September 1988. p. 33. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- David Dwyer's statistics from AFL Tables