David Ebersman attended the Trinity School in New York City. David Ebersman graduated from the Trinity School in 1987 and then went on to attend Brown University and graduated from Brown in June 1991. He graduated from Brown with a degree in Economics.
Ebersman began his professional career at Oppenheimer & Co, Inc. in September 1991 as a Research Analyst. Ebersman left Oppenheimer & Co in February 1994 and began working for Genentech. He held the following positions at Genentech from February 1994 until his departure from the company in April 2009:
Genentech positions held:
- February 1994 to February 1995 - Business Development Analyst
- February 1995 to February 1996 – Manager of Business Development
- February 1996 to March 1998 – Director of Business Development
- March 1998 to February 1999 – Senior Director of Product Development
- February 1999 to May 2001 – VP of Product Development
- May 2001 to January 2005 – Senior VP of Product Operations
- January 2005 to March 2005 – Senior VP of Finance
- March 2005 to April 2009 - Chief Financial Officer
In September 2009, Mr. Ebersman began his career at Facebook as the company's Chief Financial Officer. Mr. Ebersman was hired by Facebook, in part, because he had "public company experience". He was succeeded by David Wehner, who assumed the position on June 1, 2014.
- "Going Public: Key Developments in Facebook's IPO - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "David Ebersman". Facebook. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- David A. Ebersman. "David Ebersman: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "David Ebersman – Official webpage for David Ebersman". Davidebersman.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Facebook hires former Genentech exec as CFO". ZDNet. 2009-06-29. Retrieved 2012-05-22.