David Estrada (soccer)
David Estrada of the Seattle Sounders FC in a game against Chivas USA at Centurylink Field on September 4, 2013
|Full name||David Estrada|
|Date of birth||February 4, 1988|
|Place of birth||Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico|
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||Forward, Midfielder|
|Current club||Seattle Sounders FC|
|2008–2009||Salinas Valley Samba|
|2010–||Seattle Sounders FC||34||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of July 30, 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
College and Amateur
Estrada was born in Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico and moved to California with his family at four months old. He was raised in Salinas, California and attended Alisal High School. A successful player at the high school level, Estrada led the nation his senior season with 66 goals, including 11 in one game—the second-most single-game goals in state history.
He played four years of college soccer at UCLA. As a walk-on his freshman year, he was the team's top scorer, was named Soccer America's National Freshman of the Year, was a second-team All-Pac-10 selection and was voted UCLA's Offensive MVP. After missing the first seven matches of his sophomore year because of a fractured foot, he was again named to the All-Pac-10 second-team in 2007. He received All-Pac-10 honors for the third time in his career, being named to the honorable mention team in 2008, and earned third-team NSCAA All-Far West honors and first-team All-Pac-10 acclaim in his senior year. In his senior season, Estrada recorded three goals and seven assists playing a wide right midfield position.
Estrada was drafted in the first round (11th overall) of the 2010 MLS SuperDraft by Seattle Sounders FC. He made his professional debut on April 3, 2010, coming on as a substitute in a game against the New York Red Bulls.
On March 17, 2012, Estrada started in the Sounders first match of the season, and recorded his first three professional goals, scoring a hat trick.
Estrada was called up for a U.S. Under-18 national team camp in January 2007, but has not yet played internationally for any country.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|USA||League||Open Cup||League Cup||North America||Total|
|2010||Seattle Sounders FC||Major League Soccer||3||0||1||0||0||0||4||0||8||0|
Seattle Sounders FC
- Winner, Andrew (January 14, 2010). "Sounders' pick Estrada surprise of draft". Major League Soccer. Retrieved January 15, 2010.
- "1. Walk-on Estrada is Men's Freshman of the Year". Soccer America. December 20, 2006. Retrieved January 15, 2010.
- McIntyre, Doug (October 5, 2007). "Race for Big East supremacy heats up". ESPN. Retrieved January 15, 2010.
- "Eight Bruins Selected To All-Pac-10 Men's Soccer Team". CBS Interactive. November 9, 2006. Retrieved January 15, 2010.[dead link]
- "UCLA Seeks Second Chance At Santa Clara In NCAA Second Round". CBS Interactive. November 26, 2007. Retrieved January 15, 2010.[dead link]
- Romero, José Miguel (January 14, 2010). "Sounders FC selects UCLA's David Estrada in first round of MLS SuperDraft". The Seattle Times. Retrieved January 15, 2010.