|Fa'alogo playing for New Zealand in 2008|
|Full name||Daniel David Fa'alogo|
9 September 1980 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (16 st 1 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Prop, Lock, Centre|
David Fa'alogo (born 9 September 1980) is a New Zealand professional rugby league footballer for the Newcastle Knights of the National Rugby League. He previously played for Huddersfield Giants and the South Sydney Rabbitohs and has represented the New Zealand Kiwis. He primarily plays second-row, prop and lock, but can also fill in at centre.
Professional playing career
South Sydney Rabbitohs
In Round 10 of 2003 NRL season Fa'alogo made his NRL debut for the Rabbitohs against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks. In 2006, Fa'alogo made his international debut for New Zealand against Australia in the ANZAC Test. He played in 4 more games at the end of the season. In 2006, he won the George Piggins Medal as South Sydney's best and fairest player of the season.
Fa'alogo was selected to play for the New Zealand national team at lock forward in the 2007 ANZAC Test loss against Australia. In Round 25 of the 2007 NRL season, Fa'alogo was sin binned against the Sydney Roosters after punching Roosters player Braith Anasta, which resulted in a 7 week suspension from the NRL judiciary.
In 2008, he was sent home from a club trip to Florida, United States and fined $10,000 after punching a member of the public at a taxi rank. Fa'alogo was again selected for the ANZAC Test again in 2008. In August 2008, Fa'alogo was named in the New Zealand training squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup, and in October 2008, he was named in the final 24-man Kiwi squad. Fa'alogo played in the New Zealand team that defeated Australia in the final of the 2008 World Cup to claim New Zealand's first title.
In September 2009, he punched coach Jason Taylor during end of season celebrations, knocking him to the ground. He was reportedly provoked by Taylor's 'rough horseplay' and had his contract terminated due to the incident.
In May 2009, Fa'alogo signed a 4-year contract with English Super League club Huddersfield Giants starting in 2010. In 2011, Fa'alogo was selected in the inaugural Exiles squad for the Rugby League International Origin Match against England at Headingley. He was again selected to play for the Exiles in 2012.
On 22 May 2013, Fa'alogo re-signed with the Knights on a 1-year contract.
On 8 September 2014, Fa'alogo was selected for the Samoa Four Nations train-on squad. On 7 October 2014, Fa'alogo was selected in the Samoa national rugby league team final 24 man squad for the 2014 Four Nations series.
On 31 October 2014, Fa'alogo re-signed with the Knights on a 1-year contract.
- FA'ALOGO, DANIEL DAVID 2006 - 2009 - KIWI #726 nzleague.co.nz
- Coffey and Wood The Kiwis: 100 Years of International Rugby League ISBN 1-86971-090-8
- "Club records". rabbitohs.com.au. South Sydney Rabbitohs. 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- "Anzac Test Match 2007". rugbyleagueproject.org. Shawn Dollin, Andrew Ferguson and Bill Bates. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Kiwis select Sonny Bill". Sky Sports. 2008-08-08. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "Kiwis to wait on Webb and Matai". BBC. 2008-10-07. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Australia 20-34 New Zealand". news.bbc.co.uk (BBC Sport). 2008-11-22. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Warrington dominate Exiles picks for Origin fixture". bbc.co.uk. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2011-05-04.